PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why would I remember any names? We didn't do business with these individuals or their companies. Only the name of the Florida municipality is omitted to protect the innocent, hardworking members of the population, which is probably at least eighty percent.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
With the exception of hurricanes...this state has really good weather...assuming you don't mind the humidity, stupidity, lack of humility and any other idity I can think of. Moved from Miami when I had to be packin' just to go to my car from my house...this was some 20 years ago...hasn't gotten any better, if anything it has gotten worse. Miami has so many different cultures that it is hard to understand the person you may be talking to...probably 15 or so different Spanish dialects, redneck (which is mostly northern Florida say from Orlando up) and a few other languages which may reflect culture also.

I moved over 20 years ago to Tallahassee...which then was an improvement...but now life has changed...I'm retired and keep my fence locked at all times...keeping the world on the other side of the fence...if on my side and uninvited, then their ass is mine, so to speak. While I am some 50 air miles from the coast...in another 20 years I might have ocean front property. But since the oil company has polluted the Gulf for untold unknown number of years...I no longer eat uncooked shellfish...too old to die from stupidity.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My aunt and uncle moved down in the late fifties to a beautiful piece of land on the Calloosahatchie River between Lake Ocachobee and the Gulf, and my cousin built a beautiful home there with a multi-car garage for his collector cars, but now the river is blighted with red algae, and I don't think they swim there anymore. I'm not sure his son and family will live there if they inherit the place.

papawhisky

Lurker
Jan 29, 2019
Austin, Texas
Having lived and still having family in Fl, I can say that 80+ % of the population is bats**t crazy. I knew people that thought AC and kissing were works of the Devil, hurricanes were caused by NASA’s rockets, we never landed on the moon, the Earth was flat, the government listened to you through your microwave and reprogrammed you while you slept... I could go on. And this was just in my high school home room class!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The humor writer Dave Barry recorded (and records) the bizarre aspects of Miami and Florida at large so well. Multiple incongruities were his specialty. Demographic universes in collision, among palm trees.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just had to bump again for this one. The latest in the Florida Chronicles:
Man Throws His Own Feces At Judge During Burglary Trial, Jurors Acquit Anyway
Only in Florida.
A man charged with burglary "defecated during his criminal trial and tried to throw his feces at the judge" according to the NY Post. 33 year old Dorleans Philidor tried to throw his excrement at Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Lisa Walsh while sitting next to her in a wheelchair during his trial.
He missed.
It's a bold strategy, but it just may have worked.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-23/man-throws-his-own-feces-judge-during-burglary-trial-jurors-acquit-anyway

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Another one that must be added to the FL Chronicles:
Florida Sheriff Deputy Arrested After Planting Drugs on Innocent People
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) announced yesterday that, following a months-long investigation, former Jackson County sheriff's deputy Zach Wester had been arrested and charged with 52 felony crimes, including racketeering, false imprisonment, fabricating evidence, and drug possession.
In a stunning 30-page affidavit, the FDLE laid out how Wester kept unmarked bags of marijuana and methamphetamines in the trunk of his patrol car, manipulated his body cam footage, planted drugs in people's cars, and falsified arrest reports to railroad innocent people under the color of law. His victims, many of whom had prior records or were working to stay sober, had their lives upended. One man lost custody of his daughter.
"There is no question that Wester's crimes were deliberate and that his actions put innocent people in jail," Chris Williams, the FDLE's assistant special agent in charge, said in a press release.
https://reason.com/2019/07/11/florida-sheriff-deputy-arrested-after-planting-drugs-on-innocent-people/

Status
Not open for further replies.