PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I'm a fan of LOTR and there are numerous blends themed after this great work. I got to thinking about what blends might look like if they were named with a Game of Thrones inspired theme. Here would be my suggestions

Hodor - A very strong, one note latakia blend. Think C&D Pirate Kake

John Snow - A complex, earthy latakia blend, maybe some dark fired leaf in there for some depth

Daenerys - A tangy oriental blend
What would you add to the theme?

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I decided to Google and see if anything was already being done along these lines and found a wiki article about this subject in relation to the books. It looks like other than a "fancy" there is no real reason to bring about blends themed as tobacco doesn't appear in the books.

Author George R.R. Martin has stated that Westeros is loosely inspired by England during the War of the Roses during the 1400s, and thus possess a Late Medieval technology level - and, in general, only foodstuffs known to medieval Europe before contact was made with the Americas. Martin has not made an official statement on the subject, but New World crops and animals are rarely if ever mentioned. In particular, tobacco apparently does not exist in Westeros, as no one is ever mentioned to be smoking. Moreover, Martin went so far as to develop a fantasy-equivalent of tobacco, known as "sourleaf", which is chewed in similar fashion to chewing tobacco. However, sourleaf is explicitly not the same thing as "tobacco" just using a different name, the way Tolkien called tobacco "pipe-weed" but acknowledged that "pipe-weed" is really tobacco. Sourleaf is chewed like chewing tobacco and gives a similar mild narcotic effect, however, sourleaf causes a pink froth to form on the lips from its red juices, which if used habitually will turn teeth blood red (Masha Heddle, the innkeeper at the Crossroads Inn, is a heavy user of sourleaf, though this didn't come up in the TV series).

Dec 24, 2012
Great suggestion. I do have two Game of Thrones pipes, but no devoted tobacco. See:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/lasse-skovgaard-pickaxe
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/walt-cannoy-elephants-foot
I need to think about an appropriate blend.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Peck this are both amazing looking pipes. I haven't even thought along those lines. There could be so many themed pipes.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Very interesting. I discovered both pipe smoking and Game of Thrones this year. I spend many of those starting bowls reading one of the various novels. Sourleaf sure got mentioned a lot in regards to getting provisions for the wall. I recall they talked of bales... I like the sound of a bale of tobacco!
I am guessing that a Cersei Lannister blend would have to be a sweet Virginia with one hell of a bite.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I fear I could waste a lot of time on this
Tyrion Lannister blend would have to be a heavily cased red wine aromatic.
Dornish blends would have to have a real zing... heavy on the perique and cased with a light chili oil.

bigjoe

Might Stick Around
Aug 14, 2014
Sourleaf sounds a whole lot like betel , both the leaves and nuts are chewed. Not sure about the leaves, but the nuts make a person look like they just had all their teeth knocked out.

"The Wall" would be a strong Blakan flake, to keep a brother occupied while setting up all night staring out across the ice and snow. Burns slow and really changes flavors as the bowl progresses.
"Craster's Blend" would be similar to a Kentucky Dark Fired, except it would leave your teeth darkened and your breath dead smelling. And, of course, you'd want to sleep with your daughter ...and grand-daughters.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Daenerys - A tangy oriental blend
Am I the only one who caught this? And for what it's worth, I'm 100% in agreement here.
A few more ideas.

Ygritte: a 5100 / Christmas Cheer / Red Ribbon / Red Flake style Virginia blend. Probably in ribbon cut to look just like her hair.

Varys: a Lakeland rope, perfumed and quietly deadly.

Gendry: a stout Virginia & burley blend, the sort of thing to power a person's work at the forge all day.

Maester Aemon: matured Virginia flake. Better still, aged 100 years before it hits your pipe.

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
It wouldn't surprise me if we eventually see some tobaccos with this theme. Given the popularity of the series, marketing is bound to kick in. Brewery Ommegang is already producing Ales with names from the series. I haven't tried any yet but most of the beer review sites say they aren't bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.