PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yep. Even if they move slowly and implement this over the country from city to city, it'll make it harder and harder to find anything outside of straight pipe tobacco with no flavors added, whatsoever. I could see the online retailers jacking up prices since people won't be able to purchase any at a B&M eventually. Then who's to say they don't go after the online retailers since all you really need is a credit card and boom, instant tobacco. Next thing you know, you've got every pipe smoker and his brother growing tobacco plants like pot in his back yard if he can, learning how to cure and blend your own, watching over your shoulder for the guhv'ment men.
Although....if I was a city closer to these guys...I'd just not pass anything like this, and set up the biggest damn tobacco store in the state...could be quite the lucrative business...hrmmm...

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I do scratch my head on this. I mean marijuana strains that are now legal there include Blueberry, Blackberry Kush, Cheese, Bubblegum, and Banana Kush. Yet tobacco called St. Bruno Flake would be more appealing to underage smokers? Huh.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Tobacco is a scapegoat...plain and simple. When you fully understand the role of the scapegoat archetype in the collective psyche, then it all makes sense.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well the problem seems to be more like they're just casting a huge net over any and everything "flavored" because parents apparently can't control what their children are doing and it's been like this, in a way, for ages. How many of you smoked tobacco before you were "supposed" to be allowed to? It's still going to happen, but flavored cigars, pipe tobacco, hookah, and vaping liquids are all caught in the same net. Even menthol cigarettes are caught up in it since they're "flavored". They painted this thing with the widest brush possible since their ultimate goal is to stamp out smoking altogether....with the exception of:
I mean marijuana strains that are now legal there include Blueberry, Blackberry Kush, Cheese, Bubblegum, and Banana Kush.
Yep, I didn't see one thing mentioned about pot, not one. I mean after all the struggles they had to get it legal and with such a tax revenue coming in from it, they're not about to make it illegal all over again. Although the hypocrites should...

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Sad to see. Sure to prevail in the fall, no doubt. I am now actually more concerned with 2A stuff since my cellar hit the 150# mark, but this is sad nonetheless.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The other thing to consider is, how many tobacconist have survived in San Francisco anyway? I'll bet not many. So if you happen to live in San Francisco, order your Goopers online.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I lived in SF for about 15 years, very enjoyable, but I wasn't a smoker in those years. The parts of the city I lived in and visited were just fine wrt trash and homeless. But there are areas of ugliness, true of just about any city over a couple hundred thou.
The measure: stupid beyond belief, will do nothing to stop kids from smoking whatever.
As to tobacconists: None I know of anymore. But Manhattan has three, with a population many many times that of SF. Chicago? I know only of Iwan Ries, though there may be others. Sad, sad!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Within an hours' drive of SF there're a few good places: Piedmont Tobacco in Oakland, Briar Patch in Sacramento, and Telford's in Marin. Carmel has a nice little shop. There are some in the Palo Alto area, I believe, but don't know them. It's slim and getting slimmer.
Although....if I was a city closer to these guys...I'd just not pass anything like this, and set up the biggest damn tobacco store in the state...could be quite the lucrative business...hrmmm...
That won't work, and not just in CA. Try it anywhere, good luck!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Today, I received an email from the forwarding company that I have been using to import the tobacco products from the States stating that no tobacco products are going to be shipped anymore. Brilliant day!

Status
Not open for further replies.