PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
As I sat in my garage Tuesday evening smoking a bowl and reflecting on the days events, I just had to marvel at how fortunate things were and have to believe someone was watching out for me.

About a month ago I installed four brand new Blizzak winter tires. For the past several years I drive with winter rated tires on all our vehicles.
The day started out innocuous enough driving to Edmonton to take my wife to the pain clinic for her quarterly injections. That is about 160 kilometers. Got back to RD and dropped my wife off at work and came home. When I went to pick my wife up after work at one point I had to make a lane change and left hand turn. In and of itself no big deal, we all do numerous times a day. I shoulder checked over my left shoulder in order to make a lane change and make a left turn. My left signal was on and in the nanosecond it took me to shoulder check and swing my head back there was a huge Bam, and my car jumped. I had hit the curb on the left hand side and both front and rear left side tires blew out and I was sure bent the rims. This was rush hour at a major intersection, howbeit in Red Deer a major intersection is probably not as much a big deal as it would be in a larger center. I managed to limp through the intersection to my wife's office. I couldn't stop without possible further difficulties and figured that judging by the impact and sound, the rims were smoked anyway. Sure enough. Both tires destroyed as well as both rims. The fortunate part is that it wasn't raining, snowing, blowing or cold as I groped around in the dark to put my spare on the front left side. The temp was about +3C. The end of the story is that I am also fortunate in that my son-in-law is a mechanic and came to load me up with his towing trailer and took myself and my wife home. Had to order four new tire and four new rims. The car is 2013 All wheel control Mitsubishi Lancer and now I the car is sitting lopsided in my garage.

So as I enjoyed a very welcome bowl of Nightcap in my garage, staring at my car, I reflected that it sure could have been worse and have had an entirely different ending.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
Dang man, I read this twice and both times the image I played in my head was one from a movie! probably scarier in the moment than anyone can imagine. But silver lining is you arent in the hospital!

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Dang! I've been there too. Had a tire blow out on the way to a structure fire in the dark about 3 am in my POV. Not a fun experience.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Was driving home from work last Friday morning, when all three of my motor mounts decided to call it quits. Scared the hell out of me. Six hundred dollars later, I have my car back in working order, but man what a heart stopper. Glad you're okay, and can completely relate.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks for the comments. My wife's reaction was, "Dam, you are going to have to sell some of your Dunhills to pay for the tires and rims."

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Bummer 'bout the car Chris but good to hear nobody was hurt in the incident. Amazing how these things can happen in the blink of an eye. :puffy:

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
The reason I posted this was simply because as I run out of altitude and get closer to the portal, this kind of experience makes me appreciate the things that to me, really count. Family, friends and the blessings that surround me, even though at times I think we take them for granted or lose our focus.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Glad that you are safe & physically unscathed, though shaken. Completely agree with your philosophy. Life can change in the blink of an eye.
ps - If you have not replaced your snow tires, General Tire Altimax Arctic beats Blizzaks in all Winter driving tests, especially when studded (if studded snow tires are legal where you live). I have them on 3 out of 4 of my vehicles & would use no other snow tires (I live in the mountains with winding, often snow-packed or icy roads).

I have used Nokkian Hakkapeliitta's which were great, though pricy & I don't recall if they were "studable".

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks Jack, that's great information. I was wondering what to replace them with. Might go with the Nokian's. Studded tires are legal here in Alberta. Thanks for the FYI

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
The reason I posted this was simply because as I run out of altitude and get closer to the portal, this kind of experience makes me appreciate the things that to me, really count. Family, friends and the blessings that surround me, even though at times I think we take them for granted or lose our focus.
Absolutely, Shikano53. Like the man said " your attitude determines your altitude". Great smokes to you brother.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"...as I run out of altitude and get closer to the portal"
What a lovely turn of phrase.
I'm glad you and your bride are safe.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.