Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Well this is a lesson learned. Don't keep the stem out too long.
I broke the bit off the stem from my Parker pipe. It wasn't the best smoker I have, but I'm pissed. I did a s/a treatment the other week, trying to deghost it for VA's.

Well, left the stem out and went to put it back together, it was a very firm fit and I pushed the envelope too far and this happened

31A44871-2AC6-48A6-82C3-A3F69405E677-8761-0000055513B1D3D9.jpg

4F345B24-FBAE-4B85-8FA5-090C6A57D201-8761-00000554EDFFCADE.jpg

Broke the bit right off. I'm not a happy camper. And with the stress of school, I really don't want to have to send it off to get it fixed.
Sigh...lesson learned...

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Truly sorry for your loss, my friend, that's too bad :( Is that the reason for the breakage? Do stems generally expand when not attached?

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Ah, that would make more sense. Either way this sucks man, I hope you get it taken care of quickly.

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
you're lucky you didn't slice your finger open (I assume you were twisting it).

Measure the tenon and shank diameter and i might have something i can throw in an envelope for you. Free.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
modern- youre very kind!! I don't have a caliper to measure, so it won'tbe a very accurate measurement, and i can't seem to get the rest of the stem out. I'll wait a few days to try and take it out and i'll send you some measurements. Thanks again!!

modernchicago

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2011
put it in the freezer for 2 minutes and 2 seconds.

Under a bag of Peas.

And fill the ice tray while you're in there.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Photoman- I left the stem out for about a week, probably 5 days too long. Just kinda forgot about it.
Modern- I'll try that now.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Hey CAP, just out of curiosity did you fill the shank with the SA too?
I've forgotten to put a stem back on before, but never had that happen. Usually after a good cleaning on an estate it may be a bit loose, but that's what the beeswax is for...

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
Modern- it's a Parker Jockey Club pipe. Its laqured(sp?) back rusticated.
Ghost- well i actually used cotton balls, salt is too messy and can be hard to clean out. I stuffed the shank with pipe cleaners and a napkin. I'm thinking it's due to the big humidity change here. It's getting cold and dry, so maybe that had something to do with it.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Okay, I was going to suggest cotton. I just switched to that myself, it's way easier to clean and I was getting paranoid about salt getting in the shank for that reason.
Still a bummer... :(

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Thanks for the heads up CanAsian. Soon as I read your post I remembered that I have three GBP estate pipes I'm working on seperated from the stems for about a week and a half. Sure enough first was really tight 1/4 the way in. Was able to separate it and used a chapstik that was handy to get them all in. Now I hope the chapstik doesn't cause a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.