PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Do some blends/tobaccos behave better than others? Or is it simply user error that determines this?

When I first started smoking pipes back in the early 2000s I had a couple cases of tongue bite. One that was particularly bad came from Mac Baren's Scottish Mixture. I assumed that blend was perhaps better left to a more experienced smoker and I moved on.

I've seen that blend specifically suggested for beginners, and it got me thinking- maybe tobaccos all generally behave well enough, provided they are properly dried, packed, and smoked?

Well-Behaved = no biting, stays lit, provides a relaxing and enjoyable smoke

Thoughts?

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes
Aromatics get a bad rap regarding tongue bite IMO. I have found that if I dry it out thoroughly it behaves. Granted, there are some Aro's that do not dry out period and those will bite.

A well behaved tobacco is a dry tobacco that is in the right pipe for the varietal (ie. Virginias work well in narrow, deep bowls and Aro's like wider shallower bowls. you get the idea) , and packed well.

Sipping or tasting as opposed to puffing helps as well not to mention how much better everything tastes. To me the aroma of the tobacco is mainly attributable to the heated tobacco just prior to combustion and getting that in my mouth along with the smoke. One can taste so much more in the blend that way.

I could offer you some blends that I consider perfect for me but your experience may vary....

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There is heat/steam burn and there is allergic/chemical burn. The heat/steam burn can be cured by drying the tobacco properly and with better technique. Some pipe smokers react poorly to certain blends or tobacco types, usually Virginias. Not sure anything can be done about that other than avoiding these blends or types.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Carter Hall or Prince Albert. Particularly for new pipe smokers. Meets the criteria and shouldn’t give anyone a bad experience right out of the gate. Once they have a few enjoyable smokes they can broaden their horizons and find new things but not have to worry so much about packing, lighting, relights, proper draw, etc.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily asking for examples of well-behaved tobacco.

I'm asking whether or not you believe there is such a thing, or if that is purely upto the user to control all of the variables to achieve good behavior.

Some tobaccos are definitely more prone to bite, and Mac Baren is usually referred to by many as MacBitey.

Finding the slowest cadence in the world that works for you is definitely what learning to smoke a pipe is all about, IMO. I suggest putting things like clouds of smoke and puffing out of your mind, and focus on smoking your pipe on the verge of going out. This is all about flavor, and big puffs of smoke provides less taste and more bite and also may put your pipe in jeopardy. It also makes someone look like a beginner. However, some like big clouds and puffing like a small bus rider... whatever rocks their boat.

Do some looking in to the breath method... if this is something you're interested in.

But, as the saying goes, "never tell a cowboy how to ride his horse." But, if he should ask how to stay in the saddle, I'll throw out a few suggestions. puffy

I'm asking whether or not you believe there is such a thing, or if that is purely upto the user to control all of the variables to achieve good behavior.
There are a few tobacco companies that have survived for almost a century in making bitey blends, so we can't always blame the tobacco. We can, however, maybe wait till we have some experience smoking a pipe, before trying a bite-ier blend.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Finding the slowest cadence in the world that works for you is definitely what learning to smoke a pipe is all about, IMO. I suggest putting things like clouds of smoke and puffing out of your mind, and focus on smoking your pipe on the verge of going out. This is all about flavor, and big puffs of smoke provides less taste and more bite and also may put your pipe in jeopardy. It also makes someone look like a beginner. However, some like big clouds and puffing like a small bus rider... whatever rocks their boat.

Do some looking in to the breath method... if this is something you're interested in.

But, as the saying goes, "never tell a cowboy how to ride his horse." But, if he should ask how to stay in the saddle, I'll throw out a few suggestions. puffy

I have no trouble with tongue bite these days. I was just asking out of curiousity, and to strike up some more conversation here with all you fine folks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I would definitely say that some tobacco is easier to smoke than other single-leaf or blends. Yup. Flake, coin, plug, and rope require preparation that depends entirely on the taste and skill of the smoker. Some loose blends really require drying and/or some knowhow in packing to make them work well. Most of the so-called over-the-counter blends (and what counter would that be?) are designed for ready use by even beginners and anyone else no matter how distracted or tremorous of hand. All this involves learning curves. Part of the pleasure of the pipe involves learning. And indeed, some cuts and blends are just not easily smoked, but that's pretty rare, since it is a competitive product and the market rules.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yes certainly. I would say a well behaved tobacco is one that can be smoked easily regardless of preparation / technique / etc to a degree.
for example Stokkebye luxury bullseye flake I would classify as well behaved because you can smoke that however (pretty much) without bite or issues. Now Newminster Superior Sliced I would classify as not well behaved because you really have to pack and smoke it correctly to not get bit and get the full flavor.

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Sure, I believe different blends and tobacco leave varietals burn differently. I don't really have a problem with bite, but I certainly have experienced blends that tend to burn hotter or cooler than others, just as some burn slower or faster. Smoking technique and chemistry also play roles, but they're separate to the qualities of the leaf

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
chasing', I take your point, but I think some blenders work for the ease of the smoker and some don't, so credit where credit is due. Understood that some cuts and blends require special prep and some gained knowhow.

Reactions: anotherbob

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Hands down no substitute for good technique but as far as tobacco that’s just easy to smoke there are some blends that take some serious effort to cause problems or frustration - especially for a new pipe smoker - while others defy all but the most determined pipers (I’m looking at you 1782). Pity the poor fool that tries to fold & stuff a flake of 1782 into a brand new basket pipe and enjoy a nice relaxing smoke on his first day as a pipe smoker.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I too smoked MacBaren's Mixture Scottish Blend when I started and did not particularly like it. I even blended in some Lane BCA hoping to smooth it out. After reading the comments on the forum, I now smoke it very slowly and try to do a lot of sipping and slow draws. I DO NOT puff away anymore.
I now usually smoke this blend first in every new and estate pipe I buy. I am enjoying it more and more the more I treat it with respect. I am finding this is true with all my tobaccos. No heavy draws. Just slow it down!!
IMO

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I too smoked MacBaren's Mixture Scottish Blend when I started and did not particularly like it.
.... I now smoke it very slowly.

Mac Baren virginias are particularly unforgiving. On the other hand you can puff their HH Burley Flake like a locomotive and not have to worry about a thing.

Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.