PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Hello all
Greetings from Edmonton. I've been lurking on the site for sometime and thought I'd drop a toe in. New to the activity - father smoked a pipe intermittently when I was growing up. Picked up my first pipe (from the base of a small bush beside a path on the grounds of a hospital where my wife was a patient), took it home, took it apart, hit the webs on how to restore it, cleaned it up and smoked my first bowl of Mcclelland's Frog Morton Goes to Town (yes, I know thats a terrible place to start as it was the last can in the shop and their now out of business.)
The pipe turned out to be a Corydon rusticated small billiard - made by a Dutch pipe maker in the '80s. No idea how long it had laid there. Picked a few more pipes up at a local junktique shop, researched them, cleaned them up, smoked a few bowls out of them. Started old friends smoking pipes by giving them pipes I had cleaned up/rejunvenated. Tools and techniques continue to accumulate and projects have gone from cleaning/disinfecting to rebuilding bowl rims, repairing broken shanks, fitting bands, fitting new stems. Keep learning and having fun. Fine hobby - tiny fine woodworking projects that fit into the palm of my hand! :)
Ebay is dangerous place to find oneself alone, at night, with a glass of whisky and a credit card.....brrrr. Wee packages seem to arrive daily. Wife hasn't put her size 7 down - think she likes knowing where I am.
Latest restoration/refurb completed is a Savinelli Antique Shell, Model 702. No cake in the bowl. A wee bit of dirt cleaned off the stummel. Arrived in a lot and other than a few tooth dents and a lightly oxidized stem, it's near to new condition. Winning!

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Welcome aboard from Detroit! Sounds like you've stumbled upon a life changing pipe! Good thing you were looking down at the ground when you passed that bush by the hospital!
Enjoy!

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Welcome boffo! There are plenty of exceptional restorers on the forum that I'm sure you will pick up a few tricks from. I've actually just dipped my toe into that whole world myself!
I have a good friend in Edmonton and am myself a big Oilers fan.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Welcome to the forum! Never been to Edmonton, but I'd love to check it out someday, along with the rest of the Canadian Rockies. I've spent some time in Vancouver, and Canadians are great people.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I bought my first pipe in Edmonton! I love Burlington on Whyte, prices are typical Canadian - but good eye candy to ogle at. Welcome!

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Hi Boffo - there's a fairly active group of pipe/cigar guys in Edomonton - have a look on facebook for the Edmonton Pipe and Cigar group maybe?
Anyway they're all dicks, not nice those of us who live 2 hours South. ;)

boffosquid

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2019
Edmonton
Thank you all for your kind words. I welcome all to Edmonton - a beaut of a city straddling the mighty North Saskatchewan River which winds its way through the heart of the city - one of the largest urban parks in North America. City of Festivals (Blues, Jazz, Folk Fest, Fringe, Taste of Edmonton etc), great live music town, great restaurants, great live theatre. Gateway to the Rockies through Jasper and the twisty roads of the eastern slopes and the joy of BC roads for motorcyclists (yep - I'm one of those as well)
Burlington on Whyte is a fine shop - they have been very kind to this n00b regarding tobacco and my modest efforts rescuing estate pipes - I'm working my way through one of their fine shop mixes right now - its called "Black Cross" - lovely smoke. I've been treated very well by the various Sheffields Tobacconist outlets as well - the west end and Sherwood Park outlets sport very comprehensive lines of Rattray, Peterson, Dunhill, Savinelli pipes - and they have a neat selection of meerschaums as well. They also offer house tobacco blends. Such fun!
Sorry to hear about some parochial kind of thing from some Edmontonians toward their Calgary brethren - I've been fortunate to live in both cities and frankly, Alberta is blessed to have two such dynamic centres (I'm mindful of the other great cities in the province too - Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Red Deer, Grand Prairie - so please don't paint me as a bigger city only kind of guy). I get sports rivalries and all that, but I've never got the bitterness from some quarters. Vive le difference I say!

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Welcome from NE FL. I like your idea that our PAD and TAD may just be a control mechanism used by our spouses to keep tabs on us. :)

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Greetings from Ottawa. Glad to see you are out in the open now and participating. Lots of info and interesting characters here! Be warned, it's addictive :)

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Hello neighbor, I live in Beaumont (5 mins south of Edmonton). My preferred local tobacco shop is Nottingham Pipes&Cigars in Sherwood Park (depending on who is working lol). I only personally know of a couple pipe smokers in the Edmonton area. I've also seen a few old guys at the dogparks smoking pipes but if you try to talk to them about it they look at you like you're a weirdo, haha. I don't know of any public venue for pipe smoking, but if you want to sit on my back deck and smoke one sometime just PM me.

bbownes

Lurker
Jun 29, 2019
Hey. I’m from Sherwood park.

Are there any pipe clubs in the Alberta area?

I know Burlington’s on whyte has held long smoke competitions in the past

but I’ve heard of no other groups or meet ups.

That Nottingham’s in Sherwood park has some no longer produced tins.

They are going fast. Wonder if then send some to their newer location on the west side of Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.