PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

filippuneddu

Lurker
Apr 14, 2017
Just today I smoked my first 1/4 bowl of McClelland Dark English 5110 in a brand new Peterson Around the World Ireland pipe. Beatutiful pipe and smoked well for the first time. But when I cleaned it I noticed the shellac/varnish had bubbled. I received the pipe less than three months ago from a dealer. Will Peterson replace it ? I don't know how to attach the photo of the bubble.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
While the bowl is warm during smoking, you can often rub the bubbles down with a soft cloth.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Had this happen on two Falcon bowls (black finish) and one basket pipe.

I had a very small spot occure on a nice small pipe from a reputable company.

Never had burn through and on all examples it seams the finish bubbled. The Falcon bowls were replaced by Falcon UK, I was aloud to keep the old bowls.

The small spot on my pipe from a reputable company I did not contact as I had the pipe over 12 months and it's rusticated so not very noticeable.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Just today I smoked my first 1/4 bowl of McClelland Dark English 5110 in a brand new Peterson Around the World Ireland pipe. Beatutiful pipe and smoked well for the first time. But when I cleaned it I noticed the shellac/varnish had bubbled. I received the pipe less than three months ago from a dealer. Will Peterson replace it ? I don't know how to attach the photo of the bubble.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My Rossi Napoli apple had the finish start bubbling off during its first couple smokes. It's starting to chip away now. I'll eventually sand it off and refinish it.

20170612_110329.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With a $42 pipe (an inexpensive pipe but not a freebie afterall) I'd just go ahead and smoke it, using the remedies mentioned in several posts as needed. I think it may just be the finish, and the pipe may smoke fine. If you want to sand it and refinish, you could, but there may be no need. A cosmetic question. If the pipe burns out, it's a learning thing. See what happens. I think you'll still be smoking this in years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.