PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
That's a tough position. I wouldn't have anywhere to dump it. I would probably just put my palm over it. I just had this sort of thing happen at a local cigarette store. I was buying some codger blend to remind them that we exist, but apparently they are no smoking now. I was asked to put my pipe out, palmed it for a second and tossed it in my pocket. Note there were no new signs saying that I couldn't smoke. He was annoyed with me and took me to the counter to get what I wanted. I don't mind skipping lines but this seemed unnecessary to the poor folks in front of me.

Thanks guys,

Funny, it has always been my experience that even at my own front door of my home officers will ask me to put out whatever I am smoking. I'm not sure why; some officers I know are smokers. It must just be something they are trained to do. Or, maybe I am just so sexy while I smoke my pipe that it distracts the officers. :puffy:
It is always worded as a request, but if you don't, obviously it is reworded. Yeh, I know that the side of the road isn't the best place to work out problems, but I also know that in my town, the city Judge has never ruled against one of his own officers. I am friends with our city prosecutors, and we have had that discussion. Witnesses, evidence, it would take a lot to get him to take the word of anyone over a sworn officer of the law. So, it's just a matter of luck.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Ultimately, your decision to cooperate was wise.
If one has a beef later, one can always follow up, but by cooperating during the stop, you avoid a potential world of grief.
It still sucks ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's a little too long, but maybe there should be a blend called "Stop In The Name of the Law."

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This may help shed some light on it:
Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops
A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.
The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836&cid=share_facebook_widget

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
May or not be pertinent, but how tall was this person? I always seem to pick the 5'4" cop with an attitude to pull me over.
I never even got to tell him about my firearm. That might have taken some of the focus off of my pipe. But, with the way this guys was bunking everything up, I may have gotten shot in taking it to that point.
I almost split a gut on that. lol

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
A very general statement to put your life on the line for. Your "legal advise", freely offered as it is, is very general and each situation is different and each is judged individually. Your "right" to privacy is well defined in most courts and "your right to privacy" is totally dependent on the circumstances of each confrontation.
It was not my intent to provide legal advice to everyone else but to offer how I would look at it. Whenever I'm pulled over, I immediately set my cigar or pipe in the car ashtray and as the officer is coming to my vehicle, I open both front windows to be rid of the smoke. I think keeping a cigar or pipe going in my mouth, so smoke is wafting up in the officer's face, is asking for trouble. I've been pulled over at least half a dozen times when I was smoking and have never been confronted about it. I also always put both hands on the top of the steering wheel to make it clear I'm not hiding a weapon. If it is night time, I turn on the interior lights. I do not volunteer there is a weapon in the vehicle but will affirm there is if asked.
Sounds like in Cosmic's case, it was a City Cop which worry me a lot more than Sheriffs or State Troopers. The latter two are much more experienced, in general, and more professional. Seems like when I exhibit a clear intention to be cooperative, they haven't shown any inclination to flex their muscles. I hope it continues that way if the circumstances arise. I also wouldn't physically resist or confront them under just about any circumstances. If they pushed it, I'd submit and thankfully, have the means to attempt to punish them in court.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I don’t smoke in my car, but with Ontario’s strict distracted driving law I don’t want to give them something to complain about. Cigarettes and vapes are tolerated, but pipe lighting and tamping might get unwanted attention!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Sounds like the officer was one of the few that most don't like & having a bad day.

Maybe his wife beat him up earlier.

Funny how many of us question ourselves after an incident like yours & wonder why you handled it perfectly instead of....

Thanks fellows. Ha, I have no idea how tall he was, as I was seated and he was standing, but I know what you are getting at. He is probably that city's Barney Fife.

Yeh, I did everything right if I can drive away, but with an odd feeling as if I had just been forced to humiliate myself at gunpoint. But, it's just a feeling. I still drive pretty carefully on the roads, except on the interstate, which is pretty much clear sailing at whatever speed you want to drive. It's been a tad over 20 years since I have had a ticket.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Cosmic didn't want to tell anyone, but he actually did manage to get a short clip with his cell camera of the "public servant":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jby8B7vaPc

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The dumb and stupid officers, of which we had our fair share, don't need excuses. We just tried to weed them out as their real character appeared. Union rules though, meant many had to be sent to records or PR or, some other "rubber gun squad". to live of the largess of the taxpayers. Yes, most larger departments do have a "rubber gun squad." The smaller ones, unfortunately, do not. So they live with them until the guy fouls up enough to terminate. Some even make it to retirement ... the "Grace of God" and all of that. Maybe the Mayor's son-in-law or some such.

Reactions: yaddy306

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Sorry about your FVF and the bad experience, but you got home safe and sound to enjoy another pipe, and he got home an A-hole with whatever it is that A-holes get home to.
Tomorrow you can go buy more FVF and he will still be an A-hole.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I'll say I recently had a run in with law enforcement over a burnt out license plate light. My fault for not checking but the guy was kind enough to let me off with a warning. He did ask if all the pipes which were easily visible within my reach were only for tobacco and I had a good chuckle.
I know there are some crazy folks out there but honestly I feel like it's somewhat of a feedback loop of police being distrusting of the public and ending up shooting an innocent person and then innocent people being distrusting of police. We're all human but in my opinion the unyielding force of the government should be held to a higher standard. People often forget the second part of the phrase "a bad apple spoils the whole bunch." To stand by and allow rottenness makes you no better than the bad apple itself.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yup! TV is not your friend if your are seeking facts. Their job is to sell advertising by attracting audiences, building numbers. Again, it all boils done to questioning what you read, hear and see. Hopefully, by refusing to accept what you are fed, at face value, truth will be eventually uncovered. And ... doing that is way to hard or troublesome for many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.