PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
My younger brother, his wife and son are coming down from Greensboro today. I talked to him on the phone and he said he wanted to cookout so thats what I have planned. River (his son and my nephew) has autism. It's not as bad as some kids have it.
They are very protective parents, if he gets a little scratch they make a huge deal out of it. Well, the last time they came down, I was sitting out back and River came up and asked if he could ride the snapper riding mower. I asked him if he knew how and he said "yes". He got on it and I cranked it up and put it in gear. He made a few rounds and hit the grill I had fired up. I rushed over and took it out of gear. He went running in the house. When I went in the house he told everybody the truth, that he said he knew how to ride but didn't. The only harm done was to my grill, but his mother was fuming.
A few hours later, I was smoking my pipe out shooting an air rifle when here comes River again. I asked if he would like to shoot it and he said "yes". He held it up, put his eye to the scope and shot. The gun kicked a little and the scope hit him on the cheek bone. I asked him if he was ok and he said he was. Well, his dad came out 5 Minutes later and saw the bruise on his eye and asked him what happened. He told him he was shooting the gun. His dad told him he was going to have a black eye and River ran in the house crying, he didnt want a black eye. I waited a while and went in the house and River came up to me and said "My momma told me to stay away from you" :rofl: It was funny.
So, here we are today. They are coming down and I just bought a 4 wheeler a few months back. I talked to my brother this morning and he said Rivers momma aint gonna let you ride him. But, I will get him on somehow. Hell, he has a ball when he comes down here. Let him be a kid. I got bumped, bruised and cut when I was a kid. Bottom line is, let him have some fun, you can't keep him in the house all the time. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing them.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Yep let Him be a kid. Hell We all drank from the garden hose and shared ice cream cones and still lived. :rofl:

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
I got a job working with horses at 12! Dad said he was tired of buying all my school clothes! Broke both arms and got hurt a lot but I lived!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I was driving a tractor at 8, drove a big rice combine at 12, gave my son the keys to my truck when he was 13 to go get a job mucking stables at a local horse farm, we baby our kids too much, I was raised hard and it made me a better person the old cajun

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Give him a pipe before he gets on the four wheeler. The kid'll have the biggest grin on his face you have ever seen ! Now his mom on the other hand... :rofl:
All kidding aside, my mom used to count the number of times I got stitches as a kid. She stopped counting when I reached the lucky number 13 when I was about 12 or so. Lots of stuff you can cut yourself on when you're out and about in the country all the time. ;-) So yeah, let kids be kids, they'll be all right.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I enjoyed this story very much. You've got the right mindset. Don't nanny the kid.
Supervise, but let him hit the bees nest and learn not to do that crap again. lol
:clap:

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Well, I didn't get to ride him on the 4 wheeler, but his dad got to ride him on it. I guess his mom still thinks I'm just too dangerous. :rofl:

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
I remember when I was a kid we usee to make our own skate boards out of a lenth of 2x4 and for wheels we would nail on metal roller skate wheels, the kind you could strap onto your shoes back in the day. The hill on my road was covered in a flim of my hide and I was always covered up in road rash,lol. My mom would raise h-ll about it,and my dad would just say,it would toughen me up.....Got to let kids get bangs ,scrapes, eat dirt ect. It makes them grow up to be great pipe smokers!!

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
I think I broke every toe and finger at least once before I hit double digits, I grew up climbing trees(only to discover,after much research into the matter, that the correct way down is not normally to "just let go and fall")If incident's requiring stitches counted as years I would have been voting by 11. I was a damaged little bugger, but my dad liked to point out I was born with a scar on my head from the forceps...really couldn't expect much more outta me than to add to it.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'll be swimming in my pool, sunning, writing away on the laptop smoking some BBF...Shit Oh I forgot it's freakin 4 degrees out. So I'll be in the cave writing and smoking a bowl of BBF. *sigh*

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
back when the kids were young the wife was Head Nurse in ER and our kids had zero chance of ever being on a 3 wheeler, mc, riding mower (still when she see's someone holding a small kid while driving a riding mower she has a fit)

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Yep let Him be a kid. Hell We all drank from the garden hose and shared ice cream cones and still lived.
-Right on Ace, I still drink out of the garden hose. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.