PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Folks I just came across this account of time spent on Possesion Island by explorers in the 1820s;
"Their [elephant seal] teeth we used to form into the bowls of pipes, and to this we would attatch the leg or wing bone of some fowl, which together formed a very good apparatus. Having no tobacco, we smoked the dry grass, and although it was but a poor substitute we were obliged to be satisfied with it."
Quoted in W.H Tilman Mischief among the penguins.
Elsewhere Mr Tilman talks of a sherpa who was such a smoking fiend he would smoke a lump of charcoal from a mound in the ground that had a channel leading to it to draw through.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I can just imagine the discussions they'd have. . .
"We smoked the dry grass. . ."
Well, how long did you dry it out? Did you cut it up into little squares, or just fold the blades over and stuff it?
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the dry grass these days doesn't taste anything like the dry grass we were smoking 10 years ago?
I've discovered I really like a healthy dose of clover in with the grass. Does anyone know where I can get the best GrOver?
Bob

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
LOL! That's true. And imagine if they had a choice of TWO different grasses.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
nice one Bob that made me smile. I could have been worse there could have been no grass and only Royal Yacht

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think people could get deeply bored or extremely sick smoking odd-lot vegetable matter.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"II always wondered why Condor packs were dark green. It is just grass soaked in topping!"
Just beware of grass soaked in "natural" toppings. Being a gentleman, I will refrain from elaborating. . .
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Condor:
My lawn is covered with "natural toppings," generously provided by the local fauna.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.