PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I'm just before my first DIY pipe-project, which will be a briar eskimo-shape pipe. Everything is in my head already, finally I found the correct piece of briar and stem, I know the colour I would like to use for staining, so hopefully everything will go in order. I have only one question; Can I apply carnauba wax also by hand? I would like to work 100% by hand (except drilling/chamber), so I will use saw, sandpaper, files. The only thing what I can't see is the application method of the wax. Carnauba is a very hard material and I'm not sure if it is possible to reach the same, nice-looking finish as with machine. Are there any special technique or material (sponge, clothes) what I should use?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never managed to use carnauba without a buffer. Paragon wax may be the way to go by hand.

chilly65

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2018
You should give Renaissance Wax a try.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Renaissance-Wax-Micro-Crystalline-Wax-Polish-65ml-2-25oz-Can/322052881039?hash=item4afbd8fa8f:g:D1cAAOSwh-1W3cl7:sc:USPSFirstClass!30096!US!-1

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Thank you, but what do you think, is Paragon hard enough? Won't it be matte too fast? Or will it protect the pipe enough?
This renaissance looks also promising.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Halcyon and Paragon are updated versions of Renaissance if you were wondering.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/renaissance-waxuk-vsparagon-wax-polish#post-1094175

Renaisance wax doesn't make them glossy at all. It was a microcrystaline wax designed by British museums to coat any object, wood, paper, cloth, metals, etc... any material that you will find in a museum. It protects the object from oxidizing, without interfering with the natural finish of the object. I use it on my stems... but only because I have a bucket of the stuff that I use in my jewelry designs.
But, I think it's essential that you note the melting point of these waxes. A microcrystaline (if in fact this is what Paragon is) will melt at body temperature. If the wax melts in your fingers, it's pretty pointless to use it, IMO. The reason (I believe) that carnuba is used is durability and it has such a high melting point.
Check on the pipemaking forum. Most of these artisan pipes are coated with a formula of carnuba and shellac. Or, something along these lines. Plus, they would know what the hell they are talking about.

I also use it... on my hammers, my anvils, any surface that will rust in my studio. Knife makers are big into using it on their work, and it does a fairly good job of reducing tarnish on jewelry. It is fantastic at protecting stems. In almost a decade of using it, I have never had a stem oxidize. All I do is wipe my stems down well with a jeweler's polish cloth after each smoke to keep the luster up, and once a year, put a tiny dab of Renaissance wax in my fingers, wipe on the stem, and then wipe it off. voila!!! Some guys act like taking care of their pipes is work or something. :puffy:
Seriously, ask check out the pipemaker's forum. We are basically just a bunch of consumers... but consumers with a great sense of humor. That other forums has guys who actually know answers to stuff like this.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
It works great and that's why IMO Sam mixes in a little paraffin and sells it as Paragon and cuts it with a little mineral oil and sells it as Halcyon. 8O

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I use both Paragon and Halcyon waxes, which are later formulations of microcrystalline waxes, based on Renaissance. I've used them for years with great results, but they are not as durable as a buffed carnuba. On the other hand, given how badly people use buffers, they are a less destructive way to go if you're looking for a gloss finish.
If you know how to use them, they will deliver a brilliant gloss shine, similar to a carnuba finish and they brighten right up if they get a little dull from use, which is also true of carnuba. The big difference is that they are a suspension of particles and will not hold up to getting wet. But the surface is easy to renew, so that hasn't been a concern for me.
Oh, and neither of them melts in my hands when I apply them, nor do they get dull. Quite the opposite, 'cause that's exactly how I apply them, but using my hands to polish the bowls to a high gloss and boy does that work better than using a cloth.

OK then, but keep in mind that microcrystaline wax was never meant to give gloss, so it doesn't make any sense to start with Renaissance as a base to adding mineral oil and other waxes to it. Why even bother with the microcrystaline base, which was designed to be invisible on the surface of something, if you were going to add things to it to make it visible. Just use oils and other waxes.
Museums needed a way to slow down oxidation of papers and leathers and woods to prevent them from getting older looking, but did not want the wax to be visible at all. Who wants to see greasy paper when they look at historical documents?
Why not just sell these as "something new"? instead of trying to say it is like Renaissance wax? Maybe marketing it to people who have no clue what Renaissance wax is or is for? :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Cosmic, the stuff glosses up wonderfully and keeps that gloss. If it works, it works. I don't know what or if Sam does what with what, nor do I care. It's a product that does what I need it to do, and that all that I need to care about.

Funny, how this thread came to this, but righto. I never made a comment about the halcyon paragon stuff. But, someone responded to my post about Renaissance, and... whirl and whirl, I totally agree with what you said Sable, and never disagreed. In fact, I used to keep an eye out for some of those polishes, but they were always out of stock back when I needed one. But, now that I have my routine down, I don't need any new products. But, if someone needed them to maintain their pipes, I would recommend them check those out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't want a new-pipe look, and waxes and polishes can cause residue build-up. Plus, vigorous buffing with a cloth, slightly abrasive and then soft, like a jewelers cloth, over time gives a good shine and an admirable patina. If I had a buffer, I'd use it. I like ol' cajun's shoe shine buffer as a multi-use machine. Polishing by hand has its limitations but it's advantages.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Thank you for all of you! I will try Paragon and/or Halcyon. Which one gives the shinier look? I would like to have a shiny result at the end. Something like this: http://www.eldritchpipes.com/project/curiosities-sandblasted-author-2-2-2-2-2/

Status
Not open for further replies.