PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I love to sit back and relax with my pipe and watching my saltwater aquarium. I find this very peaceful and relaxing and quite enjoyable. I have been listening to the radio show for the first time and really enjoyed the show. Brian was talking about things pipe smokers like to collect. Well everything he mentioned my wife and I collect are do. But this little tid bit was to let you guys know that a Saltwater (Marine) aquarium is very satisfying to my wife and I to just sit back relax and enjoy our pipes and tobacco. Do any of you guys are gals feel the same way, do you have a saltwater aquarium, if so how big and what fish do you have, coral etc.

just to let you know a little about our tank it is a 350 gallon reef set up, we have a lot of the normal reef shop fish that you see in the tanks. Most all the fish you see in finding Nemo, and lots more. Take care and I would appreciate any feedback. Another thing I have a few fish that will stay right beside me while smoking my pipes, and when I blow the smoke at the glass they simply love it, will flip around and seem to wallow at the glass as the smoke approaches them. Take care all.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for posting. I haven't made the move to a reef tank yet. I am still enjoying planted freshwater tanks too much to make the switch. I agree entirely that sitting in front of a well populated fish tank is a relaxing and enjoyable experience. I, more often than not, would prefer to have good music going and watch the tank than watch the TV.
I'd love to see some shots of your tank.
-- Pat

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Ill try to post some pics, I tried yesterday, but no luck, I use a iPad only no desktop are laptops. I was trying to create my aviator but no luck as well, the crop circle is not responding to the touch screen, I don't know? Maybe I can figure it out sometime.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Exactly, those are my very thoughts and feeling also. Love some good music and nice tasty beverage and watching all the fish interact with me and each other. I don't get to spend much time with the fish but when I smoke my pipe I'm usually in front of it enjoying them.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I'm a reef junkie. But broke the last tank down with last move and I am enjoying the freedom for now. But do miss it.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
We have a house on the west coast that we bought, but do not rent when we are gone, family stays in the house for free just to keep it up and take care of the things around the house. So fortunately we have never moved the tank for 12 years now.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
After the first 5 years the tank is pretty self sufficient, really no need for feeding the tank and I have a automatic fill system that keeps the tank topped off due to evap. The entire tank is automated. Really no need to touch it other than the occasional feeding and cleaning the glass a bit.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
If its 12 years old. That's back when DSBs and Puka were substrates of choice. Lol. That's a feat. I'll see if I can grab a pic of the lil reef.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I have no substrate in the display tank, it's better that way for me. It has 800 lbs of live rock only. The sump/refugium is 150 gallons and has a very thick live sand substrate, with tons of vegetation for the fish when I do feed.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Very nice. That's a modern set up for such a mature tank. nice foresight on your part of the build.
Been thinking of doin a lil cube again just to have something in the house again, but a warning I already know. If someone thinks pipes get spendy.. they should maint a blown reef. Supplements, water changes, and bulbs stack up quick. Not to mention the larger the tank, the larger the pumps for that magic high turnover rate. It's a wildly expensive addiction.
You a big blue, or swf swimmer too by any chance? I have been largely absent of them for a time but still many friends there. Small world.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
As far as the lighting I use led and that totally cut the high cost of replacing bulbs . The tank has evolved as our technology has progressed. Water changes are of no concern to me at all now, just a few supplements occasionally and a water change every 6 months are so. Now when the tanks are new water changes are a must very often. As far as turn over rate I turn my tank over 20 times an hour with return pumps from the sump and high powered wave makers, on top of gravity feed wave maker. I do not have the tank stocked to its full capacity, I only keep the amount of fish in the display tank that the sump can handle so that's really the trick.

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Can't Salt a Salter...
Your nonchalant reference to the feat is a credit to your modesty. Any top reef has a cleverly designed out of sight engine room complete with enough redundancy and ingenuity that the folks at NASA bow.
Your stock just went up a notch.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Lol, there is a side room to the aquarium that looks exactly how you describe, gravity feeds above, advanced reverse osmosis systems, massive protein skimmers, inline chem filters on the walls, electronic temp controls, water top off systems plumed all the way to the garage from 55 gallon drums, fans, automatic feeders that go off every 7 days, huge uv sterilizes and etc,etc. it's a working Eco system that is totally self contained and mostly hands free. Routine maintenance on the equipment of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.