PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I use a BIC brand lighter.
No place on that lighter does it mention that the really bright part of the lighter is very hot.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Man, when you try to light some really chunky tobacco? That BIC get hella hot.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Ditto Lostandfound.
I actually like matches for flakes. With a bic the flame just doesn't draw down as well. Djeep makes a great disposable lighter.
That being said. I still use a bic most days since I've got 1938103 floating around work and home. I thought about getting a nice pipe lighter but I figured it would come up missing. I had to pull my my zippo off my three year old the other day as it is.
My kids are well behaved but that one....yeesh. Unstoppable.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Was forging a hatchet blade a while back when my oldest son (13 at the time) came in and grabbed hold of the hot metal I had just set down on the anvil. He IMMEDIATELY threw it down and stuck his hands in his pockets.

I said "Hot, wasn't it?"

He said "No, it just doesn't take me long to look at a hatchet!"

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
TopD, that's funny stuff, in a rough way. We're all done something on par with that I'm sure...
To add to the discussion at hand, those cheapo BIC knockoffs? Yeah, had one of those burst in my hand while relighting (for the 8th or 9th time) some Admiral's Choice (gift from well meaning individual...doesn't taste bad, but sheesh, is it wet!)...top was hot, I figured "okay, I'll relight then give it a rest" when POP! side of it blew clean off. The pieces that dug into my hand didn't go deep enough to draw blood, but man, oh man, it made me JUMP!

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
TopD, that's funny stuff, in a rough way. We're all done something on par with that I'm sure...
I know I have. It's called a "self-correcting error".

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
@Zekest, thanks for a for-real LOL! From the title I assumed it was another announcement about a tobacco ban or something.
BTW, a 3-hp router is not appropriate for reaming cake.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
seriously-on-fire-wall-sign.png

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Laughed my arse off at that philip. I feel I should get an adult the next time I need to use fire.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Top that is an absolutely hysterical story; write that one down for a wedding speech some day.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
When I prepare food for dinner I like the salad plate to be cold, and I like the plate with my steak on it to be hot.
Sometimes I forget that the plate I just pulled out of the oven with my delicious food on it is hot.
I've wasted the plate, never waste a steak.
Unless you drop it on carpet... screw carpet.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I prefer matches. Less mechanized. I want the ritual, not fast and easy.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Oh my TopD you raised that boy well,that's the funniest thing I've heard in a while. :rofl:

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Hold the lighter backwards from what would normally feel natural to you, that metal part closest the the bowl. It helps.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The angled flame on a pipe lighter is there for a reason, you will not burn yourself. I think a man of your class and distinction should buy something like this.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/lighters/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=99949

Status
Not open for further replies.