PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
With the obvious possibility of the tin having some age, let's not factor that in. Is a Tinned tobacco equal or not to its Bulk?
Reason for my query: I see Bob's Chocolate in tin and bulk. Sounds like something I would like. If I get it in bulk and it is the same it would make regular rotation. If the tinned is better I would buy that, but not smoke it regularly.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake 50g = No

Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake 250g = Yes

I see no difference other than cost myself (Plus I smoke the shit out of the stuff)...

May 4, 2015
Tin vs. Bulk debate comes up from time to time. Some folks swear there are blends that just aren't as good in bulk vs.their tinned counter parts. Just one of those things you have to test and decide for yourself. For me, personally, if something can be had for half the cost because it doesn't come in fancy packaging, I'm going that route. Even if I have to leave it in a jar for a year, that's how it is.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I note that the tin note of Mixture 79 has more fragrance than the bulk. I haven't gotten to the bulk yet to give it a try. As to Skippy and Jif and others you should know the smooth top layer is where the taste is. After you gouge it with your knife you give it to your little brother.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Truth being, for me, most is like feeding caviar to swine. Taste buds are fried, no sense of smell anymore. BUT!!!! I know what I like... :puffy:

May 4, 2015
But can you guarantee that the recipe for the 16oz. Skippy is the same as the 4oz.? They might use inferior ingredients or thin out the recipe when they sell it in different sizes....

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
tom, I cannot guarantee that peanut butter even exists anymore. Since we have none in the house at the moment, it is all legend.

May 4, 2015
That's deep. I hope it exists. I'm out of cream cheese and I was planning on peanut butter for my bagel in the AM.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
OK, smaller bagels and larger ones may be made with the same recipe, but they do not taste the same.

Small Bagel bad bad. Large Bagel gooood.

Reversing it, though, small Oreos are better than the double cream ones.

Ask Schrodinger's Cat. He has the Answer. Or is it a she? Someone, please open your trunk and look.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Medium sized REAL bagel, toasted, cream cheese and lox, now we're talkin'!
So, to tie it in, no bulk packaged bagels I've seen are as good as the single ones you get in a Deli.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
John has it. Traditional-size bagel=good. Mini (that's a roll, not a bagel) and humongous (too light and fluffy) bagel=bad.

Now, is lox best from the deli, or from the supermarket?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Two tins of the same blend might differ unless they were produced on the same day from the same sources of leaf. In general, I think the blenders strive to keep a blend as uniform as possible. There are many variables, and differences in handling and storage between tinned and bulk, but I don't think there's a good product and a bad product, and the bad goes to the bulk buyers. I don't think so. The comparisons I've made are just fine, equally good.

Status
Not open for further replies.