Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Just gonna leave this here.

13Hgbq0l.jpg

That's right, I snagged a sample, while I never had the original, I'm enjoying this new release. I dont know what it is - maybe the dark fired or the red virginia but there is some spice to it.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
I've got one more pipe full left from the sample I've got. I'm going to miss it when its gone, not sure I can wait until January.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I watched Russ O mix War Horse at his office and I can tell you that the tobaccos are extraordinary by themselves. I'm sorry but I can't divulge the leaves used in it so just enjoy it for what it is- an damn fine blend. I', anxiously awaiting the plug version. That will be more robust and, I'm sure, very satisfying.

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
I wouldn't classify the RR version as a strong tobacco, it fills a spot that no other burley blend has for me so far. Its hard to really explain where the RR version falls for me, but there is just something that makes me want to keep smoking it, it scratches an itch I didn't know I had. You go in expecting a nutty and relatively sweet burley, but you end up being hit with a satisfying savoryness that is enjoyable as all heck.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Sounds like Old Joe Krantz. War Horse sounds very nice indeed. When are these available?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Soon! Though I couldn't find the date on Standard Tobacco of PA's web site, but I believe in January, IIRC. Meier and Dutch's website also doesn't show a date as of today. (http://www.meierdutch.com).
LINK to Standard Tobacco of PA's site
Warhorse, last sold in the UK in the early 1980’s, is a robust “everyman’s” pipe tobacco, consisting of earthy, hearty Burley, ripe red Virginias, a good share of smoky, spicy dark-fired Kentucky and a bit of Perique for a hint of sweetness. It has a very light top-note that helps to smooth out the flavor. This is a bold smoke, best enjoyed after a nice meal with a nice libation.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The plug version will be later in the first quarter of the year.
Woodsroad wrote this elsewhere, so I am reposting it:
There are two John Cotton's blends listed now, but I have been told by the good folks at P&C that all 3 of the John Cotton's blends will be up, with photos, on Monday. P&C expects to have the tins in their warehouse by December 1st. War Horse and Bengal Slices will arrive by January 1st, so pre-orders for those two blends will begin around December 15th. I would suggest getting your John Cotton's orders in ASAP, however, as there will be fewer tins available at first than expected.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/2194/john-cottons/

catyrpelius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 9, 2014
New Jersey
Thanks for the info, I had seen the two John Cotton Blends were up. Unfortunately the two that are up are the two I have little interest in.
I guess I can wait another month.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I would suggest getting your John Cotton's orders in ASAP, however, as there will be fewer tins available at first than expected.
I was looking forward to trying these but if they're going to be a pain in the ass to acquire there are others easily obtainable. Don't get me wrong, the reviews sound great and I want to try it but there are enough unobtainable tins out there. The Warhorse Plug may be a different story though.

Status
Not open for further replies.