PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
My pipe smoking friends think I am strange, But I love most of the Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Flake Lakeland tobaccos.
My fellow pipesmoking mates won't touch these with a ten foot pole.
I feel I will like War horse green. But my question is this.
Does War-Horse-Green, taste more like Ennerdale or Glengarry or Grasmere or Kendal flake?
Also how does G.L.Pease StoneHenge flake compare? As I have not smoked that yet either.
I would love to try some Condor plug, But I have never seen it for sale in the United States. :?

None of the WarHorses are what I would call a Lakeland at all. They are closer to Condor, but I guess that would be like comparing it to the taste of Jupiter if you've never had access to it. No, they don't sell it here at all. You have to get someone from England to send you some.
And, it does not compare at all With Greg's Stonehange. Apples and Grapefruits.
To me, the Warhorses are a strong blend of Dark Virginias and burleys, with an almond furniture polish and playdough topping added. At first it doesn't sound appealing, but when combined they real make for an awesome smoke.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I've only had the red, as every time I go to order RR or Green, I remember how much I love the Red and buy more. I'd love to know what it tastes like with age, but I just keep smoking it. I don't know that I would actually compare it to Condor, or anything for that matter. Get some, smoke it, give it away if you don't like it and buy more if you do. I'm sorry it isn't the original War Horse, but the world moved on and this is what we have. Actually, don't give it away. Give it a few bowls before you decide that.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The Green was a 'spin off' idea as there was never a War Horse Green back in the day. I like it, which is saying something given my crap taste in tobacco! Back in the day War Horse was available as 'ready rubbed' and they even had War Horse cigarettes in packets of ten. I just cannot image how bad those were for your lungs! My only regret is we could never get the stuff made as a threshed leaf plug so we had to accept whatever was on offer courtesy of the FDA deadline.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I picked up 2 tins of RR from Hawky a while back and dropped them right into the stash.
You fellas are compelling me to dig one out...
jay-roger.jpg

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
Well,next time I am in a tobacco purchasing mood I will certanily have to add a tin of WarHorse.

based on how you fellas describe the taste I am sure I will like this one. :)

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
“Stash” or “trash”?
I've been fortunate so far, plus I read a lot of reviews before purchase.
I've only gotten one blend in 8 months that I just can't smoke and enjoy.
Russ' Angler's Dream, believe it or not. That cinnamon in my pipe just does not work for me.
I'm sitting on it for a while to see if my mouth changes its mind, but I lack optimism on the matter.
jay-roger.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Ah, then you would not have enjoyed War Horse Christmas Fruitcake Surprise, a blend that I had developed, but Simon rejected out of fear of legal action by injured customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.