PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
circling around this one and thinking about picking some up. Lately nothing ive been smoking had had the strength ive been after and ive heard people say that War Horse brings the vitamin N with a deep flavor. Can any confirm or deny or educated me on what this blend may be similar to? thanks in advance!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
It’s hard to categorize because it’s pretty unique. I can confirm it’s strong. Give it a try. I’d recommend a small pipe on a full stomach for best results. I liked it but don’t smoke it often. Had the privilege of trying both the newest version and some vintage stuff from a generous forum member. The vintage stuff was frighteningly strong. No joke, it was potent stuff.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It's on sale right now at Pipes and Cigars. I second the rope offerings for strength. Eat something first, or it will hit like a drop kick to the ol' nut sac.

On the cheaper end, Five Brothers is a decent, straightforward, and pleasant OTC with loads of vitamin N. It makes a good blending leaf to add some strength to other blends as well. Simple but good and strong.

AE4HZ

Lurker
Nov 27, 2019
I'm smoking some as I type. I'm not a fan of N and this stuff will kick my butt if I'm not careful. I use a small pipe for it. I'm no expert by any means but, it does seem to have a slight cherry tin note to my nose.

John

Reactions: danimalia

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like both War Horse Bar and War Horse Green. Both have a unique flavor but are rather strong. I can't think of anything to compare them to, but the regular War Horse ribbon blend I found to be rather bland and nothing like the bars. Have fun with it!

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Both War Horse bars are pretty strong and probably not an all-day smoke for most. The Green has a stronger top note / flavoring. As has been said, they’re unique and beyond useful description. Something you just have to try for yourself.

Gawith Dark Plug is very strong and rich, but I haven’t seen it for sale recently. Most of their ropes have a similar meaty richness with ample nicotine.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I tried a tin and decided it wasn't for me. I prefer the GHC Dark Flakes/Plugs/Ropes, myself, which are a tad stronger, though a bit harder to come by at times. War Horse is pretty stout. For me, it came down to the topping, which I just didn't care for. It's kind of fruity and medicinal. At least one ingredient in the topping is also in Bengal Slices, which I love, so go figure.

If you're looking for easily obtainable high nicotine blends, I'd also suggest MacBaren HH Bold Kentucky, as well as Pease's JackKnife and Triple Play. I am a degenerate nicotine addict and require a strong blend when I wake up and all three of those do the trick for me.

Reactions: acidpox

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I didn't find it to be amazingly strong compared to some of the G&H offerings.. it's not light by any means.
The flavor is actually pretty amazing.
I’m with you, nic ain’t that bad but the the flavor of the tobaccos with the topping is amazing!

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
It's a little odd, but it has some nicotine, and it hits the spot sometimes. It definitely doesn't get me as ripped as ropes, 1792, DF, and that kind of stuff, but it's got more mojo than most. I might be imagining it, but I think the WH Bar tastes a little different than the WH Ready Cut, which I kind of prefer. When I smoked the WH from the 1970s that ashdigger gave us, I couldn't believe how strong the floral toppings were. It was incredibly perfume-y in a delicious way and very strong. The new stuff is a bit more sweet and cough medicine-y, but with some deep chocolate on the low end. I dig it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I finally got to try this one. I had tried the Green and didn't feel a thing, but the Red does seem to have more Vitamin N. I had to put down the Nording Compass ~ 2/3 of the bowl in. Nothing unpleasant, but it's very rare that I get nicotine effects from a pipe.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Yeah, smoke the War Horse Bar at least once a day. I’m kinda a poor judge of nic level, up until 5 yrs ago did cigs but mostly dipped Copenhagen for 40 yrs.

P

pipebuddy

I have disliked this tobacco. The casing reminded me of Backwoods Honey Berry cigars.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I agree with Danimanlia, I haven't tried the war hose bar yet but I do keep HH Bold Kentucky on hand when i want a no fuss high Nic bowl with great flavor. I find it does require a little drying time to avoid alot of relights but as always YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.