wanting advise on this churchwarden pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
ok will try again www.trademe.co.nz/Antiques-collectables/Tobacco-related/Other/auction-376062961.htm you might have to cut an paste or something

seanz

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
134530475_full.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My thought is it is worth whatever a collector is willing to pay. Personally I wouldn't want it.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
For smoking? My humble opinion is no, it probably isn't. For collecting? No idea.
edit: not saying it would smoke bad or anything, but my guess is that you can get something modern that smokes much better for half the price today. But if you're considering a pipe like that for $450 you're probably not simply looking for a pipe to smoke anyway, so this is probably irrelevant. x)

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Heavy price for a pipe that looks like a "meh" smoker. Also looks much more delicate than ideal.
It might be a good price if your a collector only, and you know something about the company that made it or it's background. I wouldn't pay anywhere near that though.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I'm certainly no expert, but I do admire antique pipes. I would guess its real worth as a collectible, something closer to $250-$300. Personally, I might buy it around $125, but then I dont have too much cash to throw around.

What is it actually worth ? Whatever someone will pay for it.

I would not call you a fool for paying $450, if its worth that much to you.

You can find similar antique pipes for much less, but most of them won't be this nice either.

Just want a nice pipe to smoke ? You can buy 95% of all the churchwardens on the market for less than $450.

Want a super nice 135 year old meerschaum pipe with silver fittings, and a long cherry stem in a handsome wooden case ? Looks like you found it !

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Looks like a good buy to me. Always haggle, of course. And regarding it being a good smoke--it certainly looks like the previous owner smoked the heck out of it, judging by the coloration.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
if you want a churchwarden to smoke try a Peterson they smoke great.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
htmn246: I don't know if we're talking about the same series (and I could have gotten a bad one) but I was disappointed in mine when I first smoked it. I bought a Peterson rusticated dublin churchwarden a while back and I think they had dip-stained it (submerged the whole stummel in the stain). It took a great many smokes before the pipe cleaners stopped coming out red from the stain after I inserted them in the stem after/during smoking. It smokes okay now but I wouldn't really say "great", but then again it might be psychological after the bad break-in period. I think it still has trouble absorbing tars and stuff because of the stain, but I'm not sure of the physics behind it.
On the positive side it's gorgeous and very light, sits very comfortably when clenching.

Status
Not open for further replies.