PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigbullet

Lurker
Apr 14, 2019
Tennessee
Anyone have any suggestions on how to re-hydrate a tobacco that has gone dry? I recently purchased some Rattray's summer editions from 2014 and 2015 and the tins and bags they came in are not sealed. I am afraid that all the tobacco may be dry. The first smoke I tried from the 2014 blend burned a bit hot and lacked some flavor. Any suggestions?

Personally, I love my tobacco to be very dry. Pack tighter and smoke sllllllllloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwerrrrrrrrrr.

That said, to rehydrate, you can spritz it with water, alcohol, or whatever you want.

or

Put it out onto a plate, next to a bowl of water, and cover that with something airtight.

or

Put in a tupperware with a bowl of water.

or

Put in bowl, cover with towel and wet the towel.

or

Some guys will add a bit of fruit to the tin, like an apple.
Basically, there are as many ways to rehydrate as members. Do whatever is most convenient. Me? I would just smoke it. Water adds steam to the smoke, which burns even moire.
Google "pipesmagazine re-hydrate"

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Cosmic covered it pretty thoroughly. GL Pease wrote an article about it:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/dust-in-the-wind-a-primer-on-tobacco-moisture/

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Yep cosmic nailed it. I usually put it in a small Tupperware then put a shot glass half full of water in the center, cover and wait so the tobacco can slowly pull in out of the air. Never liked spraying it on the tobacco itself personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.