Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Just a few pics of this volcano off the bench today. The tiny pits on the bottom are no where near as bad as they appear in the photos.

zz7PoXx.jpg

bsT4e8l.jpg

LjtfZLA.jpg

MDVl3D8.jpg

wUXQbBi.jpg

Tc5Um79.jpg

YeLWAEf.jpg

31kFHlM.jpg

8caZLki.jpg

oxBNXFh.jpg

sgy2kvp.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Immediately eye catching in a pleasant way. A kind of hybrid volcano. Looks like it would be a fun pipe to smoke. Positive tactile feedback looks like a sure thing.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never seen a rhodesian/bulldog bead line on a volcano before. Very nice! :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Gorgeous. What grain, what shaping, what tradition and yet originality, what flow. An A-plus quintile star pipe.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks all. I should have taken a bit more off on the left side at the bowl/shank junction chasing the symmetry. I purposely let the shank sides flare a bit toward the bowl instead of keeping it parallel because my reasoning was it fit the aesthetics of what I was trying to accomplish and that's also why I also tried to bring the flared edges as far toward the stem as I could. If I had thought about it more I would have conserved a bit more briar so that I could have taken that flared edge all the way to the stem; but as it is, I'm happy with it. And of course this time around the briar gods were kind to me with the birds-eye and just the tiny pits on the bottom. I don't fill, and those pits are a lot worse looking in the pictures than they are holding the pipe.

A side note about this piece of briar. After I had drilled both the airway and the chamber, I was kinda stumped what to make with it. Usually going in to a block I have an idea but after I put the Rhodesian/bulldog ring around it I thought, OK, now what? My original sketch was billiard but the briar said no.

Then the briar started to sing and what it sang was, "I'm a modified volcano/skater, dumb-ass!"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Finding the shape in the material. I think some of the Renaissance sculptors were big on that.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you all.

Madox07, I think about 14 hours start to finish spread over several days in and out of the shop.

Cosmic; I use a piece of 3/32" brass rod.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
shikano53, your posted photos are gone already. I am curious what the one looks like :?

Status
Not open for further replies.