Vodka

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

undecagon

Preferred Member
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I am starting to take a liking to Vodka. It has always been that my Father drinks Vodka, and I drink Whisky, generally single malts. As such, I always have a bottle of Vodka in my freezer for when my parents visit. However, I've started drinking more vodka myself. I used to be repulsed by it straight. However, now, the grain flavor is more pleasing, and I don't pick up on whatever else I used to that I didn't like. That being said, the flavor is VERY light (now that I notice it at all), unlike a scotch where you have to sort threw a variety of flavors, with Vodka, you just pick up a bit of what's there.
I don't have any vermouth, so what I do is use lemon juice in the glass, spin it around and dump it. Then the vodka (shaken over ice) plus either a few olives or a couple onions. I've been pretty satisfied with it.
Reasons Vodka is worth the time:
1. Much cheaper than Scotch (although...not as good if you're really a fan...)

2. Having it around pleases more guests (and you can keep your Scotch for yourself!)

3. You can have bloody mary's in the morning! (I've always enjoyed these, even before I started liking Vodka on it's own)
Any other Vodka fans out there?

papipeguy

Preferred Member
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Extra dry matinis, eh? I usually drink scotch but vodka is a nice change during hot weather. I like it straight as well as on the rocks. The premiums can be very tasty but I've found that Tito's is a reasonably priced potable for summer as well. Cheers.

bentmike

Preferred Member
Jan 25, 2012

Yep Tito's is great. Straight, on the rocks or with a bit of cranberry juice. Yum!

taerin

Preferred Member
May 22, 2012
If you have not had a Black Russian, you are missing out :) It's my go-to drink atm.

plateauguy

Preferred Member
Mar 19, 2013
When my daughter came home from college in Russia, she brought several bottles of Russian No Brand Vodka. It had a peppery taste that vodka here doesn't have. It spoiled me, and alas it's all gone now. My wife drinks VOX.

simnettpratt

Preferred Member
Nov 21, 2011
While I prefer a good single malt or bourbon, chilled vodka neat from the freezer, or with orange juice in a screwdriver can be pretty good - I didn't notice Titos was made in Austin; sweet. It is micro-distilled (six times!) in an old-fashioned pot still, like a fine single malt. It is very clean, no sugar or gelatin is added. Basically it tastes like an ice cube, and makes a fine mixed drink as well. One of the best vodkas, and not expensive - less than $20 a bottle.

phred

Preferred Member
Dec 11, 2012
Vodka also lends itself to infusions. There's a local restaurant that does its own infused vodkas (I believe they use Moskovskaya vodka as the base) - and they're marvelous. Lemon, dill, fig, pepper, vanilla - the list goes on. They serve them either by the shot or in a 9 oz. carafe (frozen into a block of ice).
We found a few bottles of Moskovskaya at our local liquor store and tried a few of our own. Strawberry turned out well, the vanilla was really tasty, and our anise flavor was a big hit. You just pour the vodka into a glass jar, add your flavoring agent (chunked up fruit minus seeds, a split vanilla bean or two, cracked anise pods, dill leaves), let it sit in the pantry for a while (2 days to a couple of weeks, depending on the flavoring and size of the batch), then strain it back into a bottle or decanter.

andrew

Preferred Member
Feb 13, 2013

This, actual potato vodka. One of the very few potato vodka's on the market.

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member
Aug 1, 2012
Extra dry matinis, eh?
There is no such thing as a vodka martini. A martini is a combination of gin and vermouth, Ian Fleming and James Bond notwithstanding. :mrgreen:

koscak

Nov 26, 2012
This is famus vodka from my country ( slovenia ) : Slovenia vodka made with buckwheat

buster

Preferred Member
Sep 1, 2011
Vodka tonic with a few shakes of bitters! I have been drinking gin and bitters lately, also called pink gin.

ghost

Preferred Member
May 17, 2012
I'm not much of a drinker, but I do one heck of a Crystal Head impression...

andrew

Preferred Member
Feb 13, 2013
Actually I just remembered this, if you live in the US, try Costco brand Kirkland vodka, it's made in the same town in france as grey goose is, 5x distilled, there's a huge myth on the internet that it's simply repackaged grey goose vodka, to the point that grey goose has launched lawsuits to stop the rumor. http://rebelbartender.com/2011/07/14/review-kirkland-signature-vodka-or-is-it-or-is-it-not-grey-goose/
Just look at the search results http://www.google.ca/webhp?source=search_app&gws_rd=cr#bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&ei=wAkEUvebD9LSqAHoi4CYAg&fp=90ae7c9922eac4d&q=kirkland+vodka+grey+goose&sa=N&start=0

Funny thing is alot of people say they prefer the kirkland to grey goose, and it's substantially cheaper.

irwinmetro

May 31, 2013
I pretty much only drink vodka in White Russians and while bowling or watching Big Lebowski.

instymp

Preferred Member
Jul 30, 2012
+1 Andrew, that's the brand I buy, have a couple every night except weekends. Great vodka especially for the price. Like it as much as Stoli & absolute.

profpar

Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
When I was much younger in my 20's and 30's Black Russians and vodka tonics wherein my drink rotation. Have not had any vodka in a long time but now find myself inspired.

docwatson

Preferred Member
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Being a lover of single malts and whiskeys I don't have a great knowledge or palate for vodkas but in the heat of summer I enjoy a citrus infused vodka mixed with lemonade or limeade which I find refreshing. Ketel One I use for a premium vodka and Pinnacle (distilled in France) is both extremely economical and fine for mixing IMO.