PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
This is the first time I've ventured away from my computer screen in search of estate pipes at an antique store and I was pleasantly surprised. It seems the lady who runs the local shop rents space in the store. When I told her what I was looking for she directed me to an out of the way corner stocked with vintage tobacciana as well as antique tools. I gingerly picked up a grungy looking specimen and identified a GBD 9448 through layers of grime. The price was $6.00 . In fact, all the pipes on the rack were the same price. The twelve pipe rack itself was $8.00! How could I resist! I'll definitely be checking back in a month or so.
Here's a picture of a Dr Grabow Tru-Grain I just finished cleaning up. I'm thinking it from the early '50's.
Grabow_zpsb44a70bd.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's another I just finished cleaning from that lot, a Kaywoodie Carburetor. The gentleman who's estate these pipes came from seems to have preferred billiards.
KaywoodieCarborator_zps6b0d4633.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm thoroughly addicted to antique stores now! This is so much more fun than staring at blurry photos on eBay and waiting a week to see what I bagged. Nothing like instant gratification.
I've got some days off coming up so now's the time to start planning my route.
Here's the last picture I'll post from the antique store jaunt today. It's the six dollar GBD 9448.
GBD_zps9fe9c7e1.jpg

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
That GBD is nice, that one will be a great smoker, congrats.

~Ron

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Congrats, that's exactly why all my pipes are 12$ estates from a certain shop.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
My local shops all have TLC pipes. IE in need of a lot of it. The best one I saw seemed to have a 10+ year old pack of old tobacco laced with dust. 8O
BUT I keep looking. :D
The second pipe is my favorite in your find. Awesome catch.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
Antique stores are where I get the vast majority of my pipes. I enjoy the hunt as much as I do owning them. It is a fun way to spend some down time.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice scores! I've never been that lucky in an antique store of flea market.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've looked at a few antique stores, especially when traveling, and found a few pipes, a few interesting,

but none that I wanted to take on. I'm scouting around to see if there are several stores that have enough

turnover that they might be worth checking from time to time.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
What does it say on the shank beneath the GBD imprint?
It says, "Virgin" I' not quite sure what that refers to......
My local shops all have TLC pipes. IE in need of a lot of it. The best one I saw seemed to have a 10+ year old pack of old tobacco laced with dust
Trust me, these were pretty nasty looking, too. I only avoid pipes that have stems that are severely damaged since I don't have a stash of replacements or the skill to cut a new button if it's been chewed off.
The Grabow had an airway that was completely stopped up with gunk. I had to use alcohol and the shank tool on the a senior reamer to drill that out. Drafts just fine now. The amount of carbon cake, dirt and gunk can be pretty amazing, but it all comes off with sufficient effort.....as you can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.