PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjdavis

Lurker
Feb 2, 2017
Hey guys!
I was hoping that some of you here might be able to answer this for me. Is the Virginia tobacco of today the same as the "sweet-scented variety" that was cultivated in Virginia in the 17th century? From it's description as a milder and sweeter tobacco, it would seem that it is likely, but I can't find any resources that state that explicitly. The other option was the "Orinoco variety." Any of you guys have any insight on this? Thanks!

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Aren't burley and VA both descended from Orinoco? I thought Rolfe's tobacco strains formed the basis for all tobacco grown in the region, except the native Rustica, but that isn't used in pipe blends. I've read that Burley first showed up as a variant strain in the 1800's in Ohio, but a variant of what?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
The colonists in Virginia planted Sweet Scented. As the tobacco progressed north (into Maryland) Orinoco was planted. It was considered inferior (due to its thin leaf) to Sweet Scented. Many, many generations later Orinoco morphed in to what we now call Maryland Tobacco. I think (not sure) that the Sweet Scented became Virginia (flue cured).

Status
Not open for further replies.