PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
@blueeyedogre, I just popped a tin of Capstan Blue (dated 2013). I can say that its very close to Christmas Cheer! Thanks :). Only problem is that it has a bit of a bite to it. I'll dry it out a bit and try another bowl and see if the bite subsides. But YES... This is fantastic so far and I hope I can overcome the bite.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
atskywalker, Capstan Blue Flake comes at the perfect humidity, no need of drying. If it is biting you then it could be your technique( smoking too fast). It could also be you are packing too loosely, try a firmer pack so it feels like sipping a milkshake through a straw. I have smoked 4 tins of the Blue Flake so far and no bite at all. Also how are you preparing it? I do a cube cut with large cubes or fold and stuff, rubbing it out will produce a hotter smoke.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Some choices that are frequently overlooked:
  • Brigham Klondike Gold

Dan Hamborger Veermaster, Tordenskjold Virginia Slices, Limerick

Former's, both Cross Grain Flake & Straight Grain Flake

Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I just popped a tin of Capstan Blue (dated 2013). I can say that its very close to Christmas Cheer!
Weird. I think those two are completely different. Although I think both are very good.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I've only tried a few but this one stands out as the best so far - Wessex Brigade Campain Dark Flake

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Weird. I think those two are completely different. Although I think both are very good.
I agree- to me they are very different. I get that rich dark sweetness from CC, and a less sweet, almost grain-like notes from the Capstan.....I love them both, but for different reasons....... :puffy:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
All good choices. Capstan will bite if not smoked VERY slowly. I recently had the opportunity to try some Capstan Blue from 1938 and the bite was still there.
Another thoroughly delicious smoke is McCranie's Red Flake and also Red Ribbon. These are single crop Virginias made from Red Virginia tobacco. While not complex, they are extraordinarily flavorful.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Capstan will bite if not smoked VERY slowly.

+1

Also how are you preparing it? I do a cube cut with large cubes or fold and stuff, rubbing it out will produce a hotter smoke.

+1
And though very rare (for me at least) no matter how slow I smoke some things still bite. You will hear the "smoke slow" as the oft quoted cure all for good reason, but sometimes a tobacco just doesnt react with your bodies PH correctly.
Do you rub the flake out?? If yes just get some McClelland #5100 in Bulk...not quite x-mas cheer and it's a ribbon vs a flake, but as I understand its not a single crop but very good none the less.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Flavor depth is an odd, elusive thingy when it comes to Virginia. It doesn't take much effort to miss it, particularly with paler leaves. That said, I really like Butera Golden Cake and have recommended it several times here. It has all the citrus character, orange, lemon, citron, you want from lighter va, but it has a solid, funky, earthy, backbone that is very often lacking in a McClelland's sourced Virginia.
Really, a top notch smoke (imho) and one that flies well under the radar.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
Although Capstan and CC are different, I thought Capstan is closer/more similar to CC than say Union Square. The only way I can express it that makes sense to me is that US has this youthful exuberance while CC & Capstan seemed older/darker to my palate. Hence the perception of similarity I guess.
On another note, I started cubing flakes (in this case its Irish flake) and I'm getting intrigued regarding the potential. I can taste the difference and I like the burning characteristics but too early to say I've made up my mind. Thanks Harris!
Also, the bite on Capstan subsided when I dried it. I'm starting to notice that I burn my tongue more often the wetter the tobacco. Wouldn't the level of moisture be a subjective thing? I remember also reading Greg Pease somewhere saying that the optimal level of moister is around 2.5%. My capstan tin was certainly above 2.5% :).

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
This has been a great thread! I'm a big fan of Capstan Original Navy Cut for its dark, malty profile in comparison to many VA's bright, citrusy notes. I haven't found Capstan to be tooooo bitey but I go slow to the point of having to relight it often. If I do need to relight I typically take a bit of a break so that I'm not introducing flame to an already hot bowl.
cigrmaster, tarak and seacaptain's praise of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake sparked my interest. Pipestud's affirmation and the overall good reviews on tobaccoreviews were enough to push me over the edge. I ordered a couple of tins (one to smoke and one to cellar; a practice I am trying to get in to the habit of maintaining) as well as some Dunhill Flake and Solani 656: Aged Burley Flake which I have been meaning to try.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I get where you're coming from, I tend to like my Virginia flake to be on the bold side. If you find the Blue a bit bold then maybe give the Yellow a shot. I find it to be a bit milder or try smoking it with a glass of soda (I prefer Dr. Pepper) as I find the acid in the soda help neutralize the sharpness of the Virginia. I'm also a big fan of the Christmas Cheer as well as McClelland's Vapers such as Beacon Extra and Dark Navy Broken Flake. That rich ketchup smell just gets my mouth watering.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Another thoroughly delicious smoke is McCranie's Red Flake and also Red Ribbon
This is the closest thing that I can think of to the OP's original request- a recommendation that is similar to Christmas Cheer. Red Ribbon is spectacular and not to be missed by any Virginia lover. Wessex BCDF is another whole different critter in my book. Not like Capstan, not like CC, but very good. If you like BCDF, you should try Astley's 44- I think I prefer it.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Another thoroughly delicious smoke is McCranie's Red Flake and also Red Ribbon
This is the closest thing that I can think of to the OP's original request- a recommendation that is similar to Christmas Cheer. Red Ribbon is spectacular and not to be missed by any Virginia lover. Wessex BCDF is another whole different critter in my book. Not like Capstan, not like CC, but very good. If you like BCDF, you should try Astley's 44- I think I prefer it.
I'm making my way through the first of two tins of red ribbon (2008) my SO muled across the border for me and quite enjoying it! I had a little bit of a hard time at first getting over the ketchup smell -- kind of like when you're expecting one flavour and hit with another -- it was just kind of discombobulating. But now that I've had some time with it and know what's coming I anticipate and enjoy smoking it!
Capstan Original is still my go to, though I'm excited for the Dunhill Flake and Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake that are in the mail. I used Capstan to break in a new pipe as it was the only straight VA I had. I was paying extra attention to not smoking too hot yet not having to relight for the sake of the pipe but ended up having a superb smoke because of it. So far I've been enjoying VA's the most when I have 100% of my attention dedicated to them and can take a careful, measured approach to pulling out all that they have to give.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have about 20 lbs of straight VA from 2013, but some, Pease Laurel Heights (2007), Heinrich Curly (2003), Escudo (I know, a VA/Perique, 2003) have some age. In general aged tobacco has knocked back my socks; and in general I age for a minimum of 5 years.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
4 months later I'm smoking a bowl of Black Woods Flake and it seems to me to be very similar to my original request. I will certainly keep coming back here to to try mode of the recommendations.
Can it seem to find McCranie's Red Flake and also Red Ribbon anywhere online. Pointers?

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Here ya go:

http://www.mccranies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_35_40&products_id=6&zenid=756cae9d6c23da5dada3df4e2d01df71

Status
Not open for further replies.