PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
a21c614f7eaf307e636c.jpg
If you haven't had the pleasure of enjoying Sutliff 507C Virginia Slices, allow me to introduce you. 507C is actually an Orlik product, made in Assens, Denmark from the same choice leaf found in their other flakes and blends. Lestrout was the first to recommend 507c to me several years ago, and I began squirreling away a pound here and pound there as I could afford to do so.
Here's what the minions on TR have to say about it.
Last summer, Smokingpipes had 507c on sale for $123/5# and I pushed the button, putting it up in half-pint jars. I thought that I'd never see pricing like that again, but lo and behold, P&C has it on sale (along with other Sutliff blends) and the price is still $123/5#. There's good pricing on lesser quantities as well. The only fly in the ointment is that it's backordered, but they will allow you to order it at the sale price.
If you are motivated to hoard cellar some quality Virginia flake that will undoubtedly age well, then this might be the deal that you've been waiting for.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I would compare it to Dunhill flake (also made by Orlik), but it's really it's own thing. Some people tend to marginalize 507c because it wears the Sutliff moniker, but that's their mistake.
How Orlik came to make this for Sutliff is unknown to me, but it probably dates back to when Altadis owned Sutliff and they didn't make flakes. Orlik produces flakes and plugs for several other companies, some of which might surprise you.

Reactions: BROBS

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

On the SPC site they describe it as, "A flue-cured Virginia flake with a light aromatic topping".

Is it true it has an aromatic toping? If so, would you be so kind as to elaborate?

Thanks

Reactions: BROBS

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Kane, almost all pipe tobaccos have a flavoring added somewhere in their processing. 507c has something, but the tobacco dominates, to be sure. It's not an aromatic as we commonly use that description, by any stretch of the imagination. I'll stick my nose in a jar tomorrow if I get a chance, and compare it with some other flakes. I've been meaning to do a real comparison of all the various STG flakes, but that's a more serious task that will happen another day.
Oldgeezer, thanks for the institutional memory!

Oct 7, 2016
Just as long as it is not institutionalized memory, Woodsroad.
Was always a quality product, several high end shops sold it as one of 'their' blends.

• Haha
Reactions: woodsroad

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Sutliff's Virginia Slices? I have tons of virginia on hand aging including lots of these slices, glade to hear someone bring them up, Woodroad!
Here are some pictures I have on file:
p1010033-600x450.jpg

p1010016a-2-600x450.jpg

p1010019a-600x450.jpg

The stuff ages well and has a character of its own. Nice by itself, it also responds well to stoving, steaming, and baking. Only improves with age, very useful as a base virginia in blending with other things! And the price is as you say, very good.

Reactions: woodsroad

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
What the hell are you doing woodsroad? Now the hoarders are going to pile on and buy it, supply will drop, price will go up, chaos and anarchy! You've ruined a good thing!
Seriously, good stuff! A member here posted a pic of his purchase a few years ago and it piqued my interest. Bought a sample and sold!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got it on my list of stuff to try. I hope to get around to it sooner rather than later.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I need an OdorModem
Man, wouldn't that be the bomb if you could send smell through the internet? The stuff has a nice virginia smell as it comes but is neutral enough to permit blending or creativity in many different directions if you like!

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
How does this flake compare with Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake? By the description they sound like very similar tobaccos. Would it be worth having a bit of both on hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.