PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I have some jarred up. It's a nice, light VA flake. Might have a light citrus and molasses topping, but really, it's mostly just a straight up VA flake. Reminds me of some Samuel Gawith stuff. It comes in strips, longer than any flake I have ever seen.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Would it be worth having a bit of both on hand?
I do. I like to keep lots of all kinds of good basic tobaccos on hand. These are the building blocks of a thousand other blends! Here is a picture with some 400 at the bottom. I know, kinda hard to see in these small pictures. But you can never have too much virginia on hand and I feel variety is the spice of life. :mrgreen:
p1010a032-600x539.jpg

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
I'm going to try this one. I'd need to try a side by side sample of Sutliff, newminster, OGS & ps lux twist / flake. A show down of the economical flakes. A year in a mason jar should help too.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
To me the Newminster Navy Flake is way sweeter. It has a heavier topping, honey or whatever. Cosmic put me on to that one and I enjoy it. The Sutliff I need to let age some more. I didn't enjoy it as much but I tend to gravitate towards the sweeter Virginias, and I've only had it once

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I tried SG FVF for the first time the other day. I was blown away. I like Virginia flakes, I'll have to try the Sutliff stuff, but that FVF was amazing.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Another view of tobacco economics: if people buy a ton of this stuff, the blend will be more likely to endure... if we are really canny, we will all buy at this price, then hoard through the price rise, and wait it out until it drops again, then replenish those caches, signaling that this is the appropriate market price to the manufacturer.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Not bad for the price but I've never tried any that wasn't fresh and mostly use it in blending though decent on it's own, not sweet, a few years would do it good. Newminster Superior Navy Flake is great and only gets better, the Slices too. Newminster Navy and Orlik Golden tie for first in VA, if I want something light it's Orlik, or for something even lighter that's like pouring honey in your mouth it's Newminster.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Agreed. I have certainly tried to do my part to stimulate the market and as said before, while some might smoke it fresh, and you certainly can, I mainly put this stuff away for the long haul for aging and blending purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.