PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
I always like to check out local pipe and tobacco shops when traveling and on a recent business trip to Cleveland I stopped by the Robusto and Briar in the suburb of Lakewood. What a great shop with a huge lounge, and in addition to a lot of cigars they also have a very respectable stock of pipe tobacco, tin and bulk.
They also have a nice stock of pipes and in among them were three spectacular Luigi Viprati pipes, including a spectacular volcano that really caught my eye. I had a nice conversation with a fellow pipe smoker that works there who gave me information on who to talk to if I was interested. After I got home I thought quite a bit about that Volcano and decided to jump on it. It arrived today, no regrets!

Reactions: Scottmi

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
That's a cool pipe! I lived in Lakewood for a year back in my pre piping days ('93. Cleveland is a great city and Lakewood is a nice area. Glad you were able to run across a nice B&M.
Sounds like I need to organize a revisit to my old stomping grounds.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Nice looking pipe. Almost like a cherrywood volcano. Been eyeing Viprati myself. Waiting for the right one (at the right price) to pull the trigger. Congrats!

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
Thanks a lot!
Lakewood seemed like a nice place though I only was able to visit this one store, most of my time was spent in Independence.
The color is quite unique, all 3 Vipratis on hand had this particular stain, pictures don’t do it justice. They really don’t do this pipe any justice, depending what angle you view it at it seems to change shape. The only thing stamped Viprati I owned before this was the Hearth and Home blend, I’m quite happy to now have one of his pipes in my collection. And there’s something to be said about finding this pipe in an actual store, getting to hold it and look it over prior to purchasing it, I’m not sure I’d have bought this just based on seeing pictures online.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Good smoking pipes. Watch the 5 part video series here,
https://www.youtube.com/user/albertobelometti/videos
:D

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
Thanks for sharing the video, fun to watch a pipe start to finish, and he makes it look so effortless.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Outstanding looking Viprati, congrats. When I was collecting Italian straight grains back in the day, I always thought that grain for the buck, no one beat Viprati. I owned a few and enjoyed how they smoked.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Haha, I love the constant smooth sax in that part too. Just chill jammin, drinking dank italian coffee with a nice bowl of something or other, and makin a few pipes. Looks like my kind of work place.
Right now I'm lucky if the Keurig can spit out some baby shit before I have 6 people accosting me for invoice approval, COIs, insurance questions, and a long diatribe about how so and so never comes in until 5 after 8 and that's not fair because I come in at 8 every day and they don't know what they're doing and I am constantly fixing their mistakes and even though you are perfectly happy with their performance I need to keep coming in and bitching about them every day for a year and a half and their budget never matches my budget and I shouldn't have to take on more duties if they don't and I think they are using our company dumpster to throw away their personal trash and the building alarm system sets too fast when I leave and OH GOD THE LAST SET OF BOARD MEETING MINUTES HAD THREE TYPOS IN IT WE'RE ALL DOOMED! THE COMPANY IS DOOMED!

• Haha

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Alaskanpiper, you need this time honored (anti)personnel device on your desk.
cd1_620x.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
I could swear I’ve heard the stock music in part one in another video completely unrelated to pipes.

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
Very nice! I love Luigi's older stuff more (more traditional looking) - but man does he know how to work grain

Status
Not open for further replies.