PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like bluegrass, I wondered if the radio remained functional. There is a wide market in vintage radios and they command substantial prices, as-is. They are quite beautiful, even the less elaborate ones. As a child, when tube radios were standard, I used to peak in the backs of them and "see" a little city at night with the "buildings" all lit up. Someone must be making the replacement tubes since this market has been going on now for decades. Vinyl records and the supporting equipment are becoming equally coveted and valuable. The new digital world does many and wonderful things, but in certain ways, it's not so good. You don't know what you got until it's almost gone.

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
Hope this is not a shameless brag but I own one.
Mid 90's I was working at a radio station. A co worker was a vintage radio buff. I had seen a picture of the Smokerette and asked him if he could hunt me down one through his hobby connections. A couple of weeks went buy and then he passed me the name and the number of a person who had one for sale. The radio had recently come out of a World War II veterans estate. The man had won the radio in a punch game and enjoyed it for a few years when he was a bachelor. His bride hated the radio but the man could not bring himself to part with it so it went into storage for something like 40 years.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Without pictures, it's a shameless brag.
With a nice array of photos, it's sharing pipe lore with the brethren... :nana:
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.