PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolsiggy

Lurker
May 18, 2013
Handed down by my father, not sure if they are rare?, opinions and info please. I smoke then both and prefer the Royal one (hint). This is my first attempt at photo insert. hoping.
old-timers-130-600x450.jpg

Edit: Fixed your pic for you, L.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
We need more info in order to maybe identify your pipes. Stampings,pics of inlaid logos and trademarks etc. Those could have been made by one of a 100 companies.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I have a Custombilt similar to the first one, but I'd want to look for stampings before passing judgement on it.

coolsiggy

Lurker
May 18, 2013
My pipe knowledge is limited to my collection, most of them purchased while in Europe due to desire for the 9mm filter.

The markings I find, Top pipe: Roger's Rarity, # 126. Bottom pipe: Earl of Essex,(appears to have Meerschaum bowl liner.

Both pipes are very similar in wood and texture, both are marked Imported Bruyere, I only recently understood that this mean Briar.

I guess they were both made by Roger's?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Pipephil has nothing on a "Rogers Rarity" but does list a "Rogers". Found this over at Pipedia--
Also covered in some detail are pipes of historical importance to the American pipe-making scene.

Custombilt "look-alikes" are commonly seen by American pipe collectors. I always suspected that "Rogers Rarity" and "Moore Mark" pipes were related to Custombilts, and now my suspicions have been confirmed. On the other hand, "Shelldrake" and "Emperor" pipes are not related, despite their similarities. Then there are the famous pipes that followed Custombilts, which most American collectors do not know are direct successors, including "The Doodler" and "Tracy Mincer" pipes.
That was taken from a review of Bill Ungers book "The Custom-Bilt Pipe Story" by Tony Soderman. He doesn't say what the connection to Custom-Bilt might have been. Link to the reviews here-- http://pipedia.org/wiki/Custom-Bilt

coolsiggy

Lurker
May 18, 2013
Thanks for the Pipedia link.

Looks like these were Custombilt pipes, they sure appear similar. I also found this reference to Rogers in Pipedia.
Pipedia Quote

"In the early 1950’s, Tracy Mincer developed severe financial problems that caused him to stop making the Custombilt, and he lost the name. In 1953, Leonard Rodgers bought the company and emphasized tobacco pouches and butane lighters. (However, it appears Mincer was working on his new pipe, the Doodler.) In 1968, Rodgers sold the Company to Consolidated Cigars. "
Leonard may have worked at Custombilt as I'm sure both pipes are 1950 or before.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Sep 8, 2019
Hello, my boyfriend showed me this pipe and I was wondering if anyone knew anything think about it. He thinks it's cir. 1850 due to the bottles that he dug up with this pipe in his childhood back yard. 260261262

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

piperRowan

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
well, I believe it is not vintage anyway, you can send it to me and I will take the sadness due to it is fake. ; )

Status
Not open for further replies.