PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's a great picture. So this is in Kentucky? Also, I didn't realize your last name was Shain -- is that Irish? One of the people I work with in Ireland has the last name McShane -- her family comes from what is now Northern Ireland and the family was closely related to the famous O'Neills (lords of Tyrone, leaders of various rebellions, etc.).

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Great shot and a great piece of history. Women enjoying a pipe was probably not nearly as novel then. Judging from the script at the bottom the photo appears to document some family gathering. That's a nice piece of family history to have. The roadster isn't too shabby either.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a great picture. What an awesome piece of family history to have. :puffy:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Cool Picture!

That will definitely look great in your smoking room. Thanks for sharing!

Can you make out what kind of pipes they're smoking?

when I blow up the pic on my screen it looks like the one on the left is smoking a clay pipe with a wood stem. The way she's holding the pipe would indicate this too, those clay bowls get HOT!!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yes I'm thinking the one on the right is a clay. The center is very small and is either a small briar or a clay. I actually have a clay like the one on the right. Civil war era.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Interesting photo, Shaintiques. Thanks for posting it. The smoking room mount would be an awesome conversation piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.