Big and chalky:
image1.jpeg

To big and Beautiful:
image1-2.jpeg

Very small and chalky:
image1-1.jpeg

Perfection comes in small packages:
image1-3.jpeg

Both have orific stems, and are in perfect condition.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Very nice!! I really like these older meers, and the more I look at pipes like yours and condor's, the more I feel I'm going to have to find one for myself! Geez, just one more thing to worry about.... :mrgreen:

K

klause

Simon, I used a barely damp cloth to clean them, then beeswaxed the bejesus out of 'em.

K

klause

Gents, thanks for the comments - I appreciate it.
Weezell, I placed them bowl down on two match sticks on top of my wood burning stove, to heat through for 45 minutes or so. Then I removed them and carefully rub 'em all over with a block of wax, which is literally sucked up - the colour changes immediately. Then I put them back on the stove.
This was repeated over the course of an evening until they could no longer absorb wax, at which point I removed them from the heat and let 'em cool. Once cool to the touch, I carefully buffed them to a shine with a Terry-Towelling cloth.
I rest 'em on matchsticks so they don't come into direct contact with the roasting metal - the stove must be at full tilt to get them to heat through thoroughly.
It's a great way to spend an evening.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Klause does this have any effect on the taste or smoking characteristics?

Owen

K

klause

Owen, apologies for not getting back to you on this.
It doesn't affect the taste or smoking characteristics at all, as far as I can tell. But, it does enhance the pleasure and enjoyment of the smoke, in that, I feel good knowing that the meer is well maintained, and looks beautiful. It's easier on the eye, and feels so much nicer in the hand.
As you know, there's lots of factors that enhance the pleasure of smoke - pipe satisfaction, in terms of aesthetics and tactility, plays a not inconsiderable role in my smoking pleasure. But, I've always found a good sturdy plough-horse more appealing to my sensibilities than a thoroughbred racehorse, though I do admire the latter.
So, Wax on!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
My old meer could use some love. It looks great already, but I feel like it could look better. It needs a good internal cleaning too. The chamber has a bit of cake in it, and the stem could use a cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.