PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I've just come into possession of a vintage Marxman pipe. I won't have pictures of it for a few days, because my cell phone is on the fritz, but it's "matched grain," the ferule is 12K gold, and it is a billiard, as far as I can tell. The very interesting (to me) part of it, is after pulling the stem to clean the pipe, the stem has a metal (stainless?) piece sticking out of it. It's conical in shape and terminates in a small spherical shape. Rather than having room for a filter or even being able to run a pipe cleaner through it, it just has a little slot cut in the conical "body" of it.
It's difficult to describe, and I'll get a pic of it as soon as I can, but it's rather odd. On the other hand, (after cleaning it), I christened it with a bowl of my favorite Latakia/Oriental/Virginian, and it smokes wonderfully. The bowl/briar is very robust; fully 3/8" wall thickness.
Does anyone know anything about Marxman? All I found about it, was that it was purchased by some other company. I don't know old this pipe might be, but it's in marvelous shape.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Sounds like a beauty. I have four Marxman pipes. They are American. Marxman made pipes from 1934-1953 before they were bought by Mastercraft.

Checkout Pipephile.eu and Pipedia. These websites have a lot of great pipe info.

Pics please!

portalhq

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
I have one Marxman, a bent bulldog. My guess is it is post WW II . I don't think it was an expensive pipe but it is a fine smoker.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Excellent! Thank you very much. It wasn't terribly expensive, but I need more pipes in my rotation. It really is a handsome briar and pipe.
f9jkw7.jpg

2bva11.jpg

vo68ls.jpg

(Holy crap!! Sorry about the size of the pics!) :oops:

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I'm still puzzled by the metal piece. I don't know what its function is.
Maybe it's to throttle back the draw?

Moisture/saliva guard?

Permanent filter? (I've never heard of such a thing, but there are a lot of things I've never heard of...)
Anyone else care to hazard a guess? Or maybe someone else knows what it is. :?:
I will say that this pipe was a fantastic purchase. Whomever the previous owner was, must not have been much of a pipe aficionado, because to my eye, it looks like it's only had maybe a couple dozen bowls put through it, at most.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That is a stinger. Its function is to keep moisture out of the stem. I've had several pipes with stingers. I remove them about 90% of time. If you find it constricts the airflow, you should be able to wiggle it out of the stem. Don't force it out. I've had a stubborn stinger and snapped the tennon trying to remove it.

Great looking pipe. Price isn't everything. I have some El Cheapos that smoke the same or better than my more expensive highend brands.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Frank:
That's a stinger alright and I always remove them. I've been buying pipes for years, the stingers always get pulled and the pipe boxes are thrown away.
I'm a collector's nightmare.
Pipes, like wine, are meant to be enjoyed, consumed, celebrated. (As she aged, Eleanor Roosevelt always preferred birthday and Christmas presents that could be consumed and shared on the spot: Champagne, cheese, etc. What a wonderful idea....)
On the other hand, I also collect old Boy Scouts of America memorabilia. If the packing and shipping envelopes aren't there I sniff derisively and move on.
Please forgive the contradictions.
Fnord
P.S. On the other hand, I always use a Brigham maple insert when smoking one of my Brighams. Superb goes to sublime in a heartbeat.

F.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Sure looks like you can take the stinger out of that one for cleaning purposes. If you get enough pipes with stingers in your collection I recommend you buy a dental pick. It works great for getting detritus out of the stinger as well as the button end of the stem.
Most of the old estate pipes I have in my collection have stingers. I'm always disappointed when I get one that's been neutered.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Fantastic. Thanks for the info! I'm leaving it in, but I might see if it will come out, if only for the sake of thorough cleaning. I appreciate the info. :)
Update: It took a little to get it out, but I managed. Ugh... It was FILTHY! No wonder this thing tasted like old man ass, when I first got it. The whole pipe has been thoroughly cleaned and it will be set aside for a couple of days to ah... air out, rest, or whatever needs to happen to it, but I probably won't pick it up again for a week, if I can help it.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.