PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
There's a small label in the upper left corner that says MATCHED GRAIN $100. That was a small fortune back in the day.
If we're talking about 1960, then inflation says that's upwards of $800. Again, beautiful set. My one Kaywoodie is a "matched grain" -- probably from a set of two -- and it's a really nice pipe. Congrats on this spectacular acquisition.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
I still cannot believe how beautiful and well-made these Kaywoodies are! I hate to admit it, but I guess I have a bit of the pipe snob in me. 8O I always looked down on Kaywoodie as being an inferior brand only slightly better than drugstore pipes and not worthy of serious consideration. How wrong I was! This set opened my eyes to just how good a Kaywoodie can be.
The fit and finish of these Matched Grains are excellent; rivaling if not even bettering some of my Ashtons and Dunhills costing five times as much. The briar appears to be of high quality and lightweight. So far I’ve smoked all but the billiard and each pipe smoked excellently with no gurgle or excess moisture. How much this is attributable to the Drinkless System condenser versus well-aged briar is debatable. Although I could not taste it, the thought of fine tobacco smoke passing through a piece of aluminum isn’t very appealing and to me that’s the only negative point these pipes have which is entirely subjective. Besides, it’s cool smoking a pipe that’s nearly as old as I am. We just get better with age! :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm with you, my older Kaywoodies are outstanding performers, stingers or push-stems. Given the differences, I say quality briar has to be a key factor.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
My all time favorite in my collection is a 1960's Kaywoodie, it's always a wonderful smoke no matter what I throw at it. I wish I had more of them

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
No, don't smoke em. Its only unsmoked once. Buy some other Kaywoodies to smoke. I have some and they are good smokers but when I come across NOS pipes I will not smoke em. They made it this far. I am not gonna light em up. I saw that set for sale as well and knew it would go for more than my budget but a REALLY nice set.

Status
Not open for further replies.