PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

streambrewer

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
Kansas
Gents, where can I find something akin to this blend, which is obviously no longer available?
I inherited a number of pipes from my wife's grandmother several years ago from her late husband, as well as a partial tin of John Cotton's Gaelic Mixture. I was able to restore all of the pipes to proper condition, and several smoke very nicely, but previously hadn't fiddled with the tin.
Perhaps I am showing my ignorance of pipe tobacco here. I have smoked a pipe regularly, if not often for about 12 years. This last year I was able to increase my frequency and thin out the stash of tobacco I had on hand. I had always just smoked what was available, mostly in the form of 7-8 lbs of gifts from various sources. And that's a lot of tobacco for me, even over a long period.
But even at over 25 years old (or more), the tobacco in this tin is pungent, bright, and intoxicating, if also quite dried out. I would love to find something very similar. I can't begin to describe it very well. Quite sweet, with notes of leather, whisky, black tea, and some smoke (peaty?) in the background. Hopefully someone with a, shall we say...longer pipe smoking perspective is familiar with this, and can recommend something similar.
Thanks!
Matt

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
streambrewer:
Welcome aboard!
When my eyes first fell on the title of this thread I read "Vintage John Cotton's Garlic Mixture"! :) If you cannot find an existing blend which is close, then may I recommend sending a sample to Carole Burns of Pipeworks & Wilke (Pipeworks & Wilke Website) in Vermont? My guess is that she could mix a good match (Gaelic Mixture - not Garlic Mixture) for you.

streambrewer

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
Kansas
Gents, appreciate the tips!
A quick search showed me a few to try out. The most similar sounding is Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Scotch Flake. I also saw a Broken Leaf tinned version from GH. There is also a Davidoff Scottish Mixture, which appears to have more burleys. Then also a Samuel Gawith Scotch Cut Mixture, which does not appear to be available outside of the UK. Finally, my cursory search showed me Mac Baren Scottish Blend, which also looks fairly similar.
Pipeworks and Wilke looks superb. I didn't know such a site existed. A lot of temptation there for me, but will try them out after a couple of the above.
I have been smoking up a couple tins of Orlik Golden Sliced that I received as gifts, and enjoying them, but was looking for a change of pace. I feel uninformed for having smoked for this long, and having 16 or so pipes in my rotation.
Thanks again, cheers!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
streambrewer:
Ms. Burns' skills as a tobacco-blender are the stuff of legend, whether it be the Pipeworks and Wilke mixtures listed on her Website, or custom work such as I suggested in having her attempt to match your beloved John Cotton's Gaelic Mixture. Further, she is a pleasure to do business with. I hope that she can help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.