PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zion

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019

About as farm-to-table as it gets for most, Vincent Manil’s tobacco producing story is a great read. Fresh, dry, voluminous smoke describe this medium cut Semois. Unique packaging and did I mention dry?

If you grew up on a farm, the initial smell will take you back to hay season. Ignition is like a lightning strike hitting a snag surrounded by cheat grass in a drought. Did I mention it being dry? Huge clouds of smoke while the tobacco goes to work immediately. After a bowl of Reserve du Patron, I literally mowed my grass in a thunder storm in the pouring rain. Felt great! It really is a cigar in your pipe. Do not take this one lightly. Recommended for its uniqueness.

zion

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
What cigar would compare it to? I like a nice mellow Maduro every now and again but not a fan of say, an Arturo Fuente signature.

Perdomo 10th Anniversary comes to mind but the Manil is more dense. I wouldn’t describe it as a mellow cigar smoke. It would be a grand thing to have all 3 cuts of the Semois (Vincent Manil Semois Trifecta) in one block of Manil though.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Love this one. Though to say it's like a cigar seems off to my taste, to say it's very cigar like is accurate. I describe it as being the weird uncle of the burly family. It has a rough cut tobacco taste that is very dirt and minerally yet a light elegant floral note. Seriously even if you don't like this it's worth smoking just to see what it is....

rogers

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 9, 2012
I've only tried the petite Robin version of this brand. I opened the pouch many months ago and barely made a dent in it. I have a bowl every once in a blue moon.although it isn't my favorite,it isn't so bad that I feel the need to toss it either.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I get a heavy note of buttered popcorn out of it. It’s really great stuff. Doesn’t seem to leave much of an odor when I smoke it in the car either. It’s a great smoke for the car as it doesn’t require much attention or relighting and smokes dry enough that I only need a pipe cleaner for clean up. Just stuff, light, and smoke.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I definitely get that popcorn taste too. The thick cut version would be my daily smoke if I were not always trying new blends still.

Maybe someday I'll tighten up my rotation? At this pace maybe by year ten?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I may like the thick cut best of all, but they are both so good, it hardly matters. Probably my favorite tobacco, or top three. The Petite Robin shag cut blend (the others are single leaf Belgium burley variant) is also good but is a blend, and I like the variant as a single leaf. If you like burley, oh gosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.