PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I am speaking at a conference in Vienna this fall and will be there for an entire week. Anybody have any idea what the pipesmoking scene is like there? Any good tobacconists or pipe stores worth a visit?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
According to an app called Spotted by locals it's a very smoker friendly city. Doesn't mention any tobacconists though.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Great little town. Couldn't find any of those wee tinned sausages though. Last I heard they were going through some sort of ban on smoking in certain places or at least "no smoking" areas in eateries and such. That was nearly fours ago. Can't help with specialty tobacconists, lots of smoking going there though. Never a problem finding tobacco though.
If you deliver a "knock 'em the aisles" oration, I suspect someone will introduce to you to a little known, but excellent vendor, available only to the most exulted members of your secret sect.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
Try Ostermann's, just a short walk from St. Stephen's Cathedral and across the road from a public square: Ostermann Pipes
I bought a really nice - and surprisingly inexpensive - pipe there. You'll probably find a nice wide range, from inexpensive no-name pieces to high-end briars.
I seem to remember that there were a few other, centrally-located tobacconists in the pedestrian streets near St. Stephen's. You could also try: Tabak Fachgeschäft Thomas Schober (Cigarren & Pfeifenstudio) Thaliastraße 7 1160 Wien
If you know where to look, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
If there are a dozen pipes in Vienna and any tobacco worth smoking I'm betting it'll end up in "the barn". :)

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Ostermann Pipes and also Pfeifenkonsulat (Pipe Embassy) should have work by Austrian pipemakers whose work doesn't reach these shores. One I have some familiarity with is Josef Prammer who does a lot of work with morta. Ostermann's seems to be a major outlet for Prammer, but many of his pipes are 9mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.