PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalanpipes

Lurker
Dec 14, 2012
San Diego, CA
Hey all, happy Thanksgiving week! I've been asked many many times to create a video showing how I make a pipe, and while I've done a very short one in the past, and have given many talks and demos at events, I have never taken the time to actually film and edit a video of the whole process. I thought that you all may be interested in seeing it. I hope that this is being posted in the right places, and if not, I'll happily move it.

I hope you all enjoy!

Best,

Jeff

jalanpipes

Lurker
Dec 14, 2012
San Diego, CA
Thanks for checking it out, all. :) Yes, the mouthpiece takes a very long time to make. Machining it on the lathe is the fastest part, and then it's almost all filing and sanding to make it just right.

Reactions: diamondback

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Jeff, cut out the soundtrack, I want to hear the bandsaw cutting, lathe bits, and sanding disks shaping, files filing, sandblasters blasting, buffers buffing! :)

Ok, a serious question, towards the end, was that a wax application set with a heat gun before the final finishing?

Reactions: jalanpipes

jalanpipes

Lurker
Dec 14, 2012
San Diego, CA
Jeff, cut out the soundtrack, I want to hear the bandsaw cutting, lathe bits, and sanding disks shaping, files filing, sandblasters blasting, buffers buffing! :)

Ok, a serious question, towards the end, was that a wax application set with a heat gun before the final finishing?
Maybe I should post a video of me playing music, but with only lathes, sanders, and buffers. ?. Point taken, though. I could put some shop noises in too.

you’re right. I brush on a light dusting of powdered carnauba and set it with the heat gun. Gives the pipe a nice hand feel, helps to lock the stain, and will dull and patina nicely over time.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Very interesting to watch. Thank you!
Maybe I shouldn't put to much judgement based on a time lapse/edited video, but it almost seemed like the stem was more work and craftsmanship than the bowl. I mean no disrespect, as I was very impressed with the skill in making the bowl. I've done enough woodworking to appreciate the level of skill needed to do what you did. I guess I have generally thought of the stem as more of an afterthought to the shaping and finishing of the bowl, and was surprised by the amount of craftsmanship involved in the stem. very eye-opening.
Thank you again!

jalanpipes

Lurker
Dec 14, 2012
San Diego, CA
Very interesting to watch. Thank you!
Maybe I shouldn't put to much judgement based on a time lapse/edited video, but it almost seemed like the stem was more work and craftsmanship than the bowl. I mean no disrespect, as I was very impressed with the skill in making the bowl. I've done enough woodworking to appreciate the level of skill needed to do what you did. I guess I have generally thought of the stem as more of an afterthought to the shaping and finishing of the bowl, and was surprised by the amount of craftsmanship involved in the stem. very eye-opening.
Thank you again!

No disrespect taken. Every pipe maker does things a little differently. There may be some distortion of the time due to the way that I edited the video, but for a sandblasted pipe, less time is spent on the bowl shaping and finishing than for a smooth one. Whereas, every mouthpiece takes more or less the same amount of time as the production steps are the same. I'm glad that the video was informative. :)

Reactions: jojoc

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
It‘s always fascinating to watch a master craftsman. The apparent ease with which you work belies the thousands of hours you’ve spent honing your skill. Great post.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you! I've saved it to watch on the big screen in a little bit.

But I've made hundreds and hundreds of billiards, with a tiny fraction of the time and effort you put in. It helps if the object balls are two inches apart and the cue ball about a foot away, perpendicular to the line of the object balls....

And, hey, slow down on the posting!! You've averaged over two posts a year since you joined.... :) Seriously, pipe up a bit more, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.