PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I would like to honor those who not only served the States but their own motherlands including my own grandfather who was a WWII veteran.
Veterans-Day-image.jpg

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Yes. Happy Veterans day to all around the world who heard the call of their nation and willingly put their lives on the line.

You have our thanks and respect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't forget to fly the flag if that's your tradition. Get it displayed early, but not before dawn. Take it down at sunset, and remember that's earlier now after daylight savings ended some places. I honor my dad, a minesweeper skipper in the Pacific for the USN in World War II, and his brother/my uncle who was a landing craft officer at Tarawa in the first major amphibious battle for the U.S. Also my Uncle Roger who was an engineer in the Army during that war. I was an enlisted radioman on a minesweeper (MSO 489) off the DMZ in Vietnam. My flag flown off the porch is a smaller ship's flag with sewn stripes and stars. My late wife's dad was an Army courier between combat command posts before and during the Battle of the Bulge. My wife's dad was an infantry cook in the trenches during World War I (he was an older dad). He suffered health effects from mustard gas his entire life but did live into his sixties despite that.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Happy Veterans' Day to all you former and current service members out there! There are a lot of non-veterans like myself out there who are having a great day because of veterans like you.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I saluted my son first thing this morning and enjoyed his return salute. He is 100% disabled due to the Iraq war. My lady and I are full time caregivers for him. I am thankful to have him with us, many families don't have their loved ones. I served during the Vietnam era (ended up in Korea of all things) so we are both Army Vets.
My salute and thanks to all the vets come and gone, and thanks to those of you who recognize the veterans. :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
nevada', special regards to your son for his continuing valor, and to you and your wife as well. Seen this way, caretaking is religious practice of the highest order. Beyond creed or calling.
I went to my local grocery store chain (Harris Teeter) and knew from a friend to ask for the veteran's discount and saved $9.52. I think most of that was for my usual loyalty card discount, but some of it was just for Vets Day. The check-out woman said her great uncle was also a Vietnam vet, and I asked her to send him my best wishes, after asking if he is still "with us," which he is.
The flag is flying on my porch in a puffy breeze on a crisp fall day. Must remember to retire the colors at dusk. Happy Veterans Day to all Forums vets and those with kindred vets. In my family list I regret I omitted my Aunt May who was an Army nurse in the Philippines, such that my dad, a skipper on a minesweeper, was able to go visit her when they were both in P.I. off duty.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A special thanks to all the Vets on the forum.
My mother found this picture of me, my brother and father. This was the day he went to Vietnam in '68.

He's in a nursing/hospice unit now (98 years old) and this will be his last Veterans Day. Old soldiers go out hard.
23472099_1922026827812418_6769099159596951989_n.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ssjones, I'm sorry to hear your dad is in hospice, but glad he has led such a long life, made so worthwhile by his sons and military service, and I'm sure much else. What stories you have to treasure. Ninety-eight years sounds like a full life indeed, unless you are ninety eight; then a few more surely sound good.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I didn't mean to bring everybody down! He's definitely ready to meet his maker. He isn't suffering, but just has no quality of life. He was a good soldier, husband and Dad, but we're ready to let him go to the next life.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
My salute to your dad Al. Mine went home in '94. My dad was a machinist's mate on a minesweeper in WWII. Can't wait for the reunion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey nevada, another minesweeper sailor. The saying was, ships of wood, men of steel. Our lives depended on machinist mates. If you didn't have forward motion (good running engines) all you had was a sea anchor (device to keep the bow into the seas) and prayer. Those engines drummed away months and months on end, so when you got to a port where you actually turned them off finally, the silence was deafening. You slept to that music. You felt like you could count the cylinders. My sweep had four Packard (yes, the motor car company) aluminum diesels. That was heavy work in hot conditions, but those guys played those machines like violins, if you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.