PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a handicapped tag rearview mirror hanger on my car and my wife's. But lately, a grocery store chain I use nearby has added Veterans Parking to its parking lot, just a couple of spaces, but near the front door. I try to be respectful with the handicapped parking, usually only using it when my wife is aboard, only using it on my own when I'm on an errand for her or pressed for some other reason and there are plenty of spots. But I was surprised at what an emotional response I had to the Veterans slots. I always look for them, and feel a glow of satisfaction when I park there. I'm sure non-vets slide into these spots if they are in a hurry, but often they are open, and I am greatly pleased. It's such a small thing, but a big deal to vets. (USN, 1968-1972). The grocery chain is Harris-Teeter in North Carolina and perhaps other states in the Southeast. If you have any influence on designation of slots in parking lots, this might be a good idea, depending on your clientele.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
That's a good thing, we have a Goodwill in small town in a busy little shopping center, I was unloading clothing that wife collected and zoom a little car pulls up in handicapped space, young lady jumps out, no special plates and hops to a nail service shop. I mutter to myself and kreep unloading thinking she will run right back and vacate the space. I finish, get in truck and little car is still there. I put Tundra in reverse and gently ease up to rear of little car and push it out into the main traffic thorouway. I then put Tundra in reverse and head on back to the farm. What is wrong with people nowadays.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I observed a young couple in their prime (twenties) pull into a handicapped space in their BMW, and jump out with ease and athleticism and take out their gym gear and head to the gym. Likewise no tag or handicapped plate. Defiance? Nose thumbing? They probably do this for a lift. If they ever need handicapped parking, they likely will forget the arrogance of their youth. Parents forgot to instill a conscience. Unfortunately, I didn't have a Tundra. Nice job Brad.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
If your headed to the gym you would welcome a walk from your car. It is a nice way to warm up prior to your workout.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Much as I support the troops, I think reserved parking for veterans is painting with too broad of a brush. Purple Heart recipients? Sure. Disabled vets? Absolutely. But everyone who has ever worn the uniform? No.
Charles Ng, Lee Harvey Oswald, and Will Hayden were all veterans. Leavenworth is filled with disgraces to the uniform. I wouldn't want to see anyone give up a parking spot for any of those turds. Hopefully I'm not offending anyone, especially anyone who served with honor. It's just my two cents.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That is a brilliant way to honor those who have served, but I'm with Matt. Some do not deserve the honor bestowed by the Veteran title. God bless those of you that do.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I've seen the veteran parking signs at our local Harris Teeter as well and I'm not sure how I really feel about them. On one hand as a veteran I appreciate the thought, but on the other hand my cynical side thinks it just some corporate suits idea of a way to generate good will with no real thought behind it.
The same store also has parent w/child parking. So the first couple of spaces in each row is dedicated to some special parking spaces. If they try to appease to many more groups you won't be able to park in front of the store at all.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like the idea of having spaces for veterans. Maybe it will not help sell more widgets, but it is a way of supporting the community. I have no problem with the pregnant women spaces either. They can go right next to the usually empty handicapped spaces, which are often a great comfort to the elderly.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I live in Citrus County, FL and our school district is a Purple Heart district. We have a large senior citizen population. There are reserved parking spaces for Purple Heart recipients at every school campus.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I do appreciate the idea, but the disabled Vets can already park in the handicapped spaces, which, as previously mentioned are rarely full. The special parking spots for handicapped and expecting/new mothers are based on need, just because you are a veteran it doesn’t follow that you are in need of closer parking. This seems to be a ploy by the retailer or perhaps a guilty conscience over the way so many in our society treated the guys who came back from Vietnam.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This seems to be a ploy by the retailer or perhaps a guilty conscience over the way so many in our society treated the guys who came back from Vietnam.
Reminds me of a scene from a Richard Marcinko book where some protesters spit on a returning soldier at an airport and call him a murderer. He pins the scrawny vegan and tells him, "I'm a killer, not a murderer." Wonderful scene, important distinction.
There's also just a part of all of us, an ancestral part, that wants to honor the warrior. Warriors come in different forms, and I doubt there will ever be a "Dissident Writer Parking Only" privilege, but I cannot disagree with the sentiment, although I note and appreciate your cynicism for all things social or commercial in nature...

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I like the idea of veteran parking. As to the "dishonorable veterans" that don't deserve a spot, I say there are always a few in every group that spoil things, but we should not let that deter us from respecting the rest. There are probably some disabled people that cheat on their taxes or beat their pets, and thus don't deserve the parking spot either.
For me, so long as I am able, I tend to park far out, away from other cars. I can't stand people banging my trucks or cars with their car doors, or scraping them when they back out.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Doing things for Veterans for whatever reason is a good thing. I bought a Explorer Rolex after smashing my Service issued one under bulldozer tracks. Had a windfall and wife told me go buy your watch. Fast forward to about 10 yrs ago, had it serviced at only Rolex Dealer in Lafayette La, when I picked it up owner started talking to me and asked if I was a veteran, told him I was and he knocked off 200$ on a 400$ bill. It took almost 50 yrs to get something out of my hitch. :puffy:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I agree wholeheartedly that we should do more for our Veterans, as our current society (both sides of the aisle) tend to often use the “Veteran” as a propaganda tool and forget to actually help these fine men and women at home. I will vote for and support any measures that will have a real and positive impact on Veterans lives, but I’m very leery of jingoistic “Hero” worship of veterans, especially when it’s in some person or corporations’ interests to do so.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I hear you and believe me your sentiments are in line with mine, you can tell when the sentiment displayed is heartfelt or a scam for money. Society today such as it is knows no Honor today.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Without writing an essay on the subject, I will say I support gestures acknowledging veterans in general. If it happens to come from the corporate side, that's okay. How about the rest of our institutions joining in? Are there some reprehensible people among vets? Just say Timothy McVeigh. But that is a small, really small percent. I was surprised I reacted with some emotion to seeing the parking spaces. That illustrates the point. There are or were some good and helpful veterans benefits. I did my Navy hitch and spent several more years helping to deliver benefits to vets. Vets got some good and needed follow-up, but I never felt we/they were spoiled or even sufficiently acknowledged. Especially when so few people serve in uniform, some respect should be paid. Choose your own way of doing this and make it happen. I think the parking spaces are a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.