PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
The attached photo is of an estate KBB pipe got. The only stamp is KB&B and Londonlike. There is a number but the previous owner stamped his pipes with a number which he catalogued. Shape is a Zulu, but nothing else. I do believe it had a inner tube and is a push in stem. It has a very unique rustication.114751147611477

Thoughts and opinions welcome.114761147711478

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Love those old KBBs. Every one I’ve ever had with the original Drinkless stinger and push in tenon has been a great smoke.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Anyone ever see this type of rustication before? I found the model name in research but not any pipe like this.

Might be an early KBB rustication that didn't work out.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It's definitely spelled Londonlike. KBB introduced the model in 1917; an issue of the American Exporter at the time stated "The shapes in this line are identical with the popular London Styles, and from this fact the name Londonlike is derived." Makes sense given the cachet associated with London made pipes. And a refreshingly honest approach. Some other American manufacturers were less candid in differentiating between what was inspired by London brands, and what was actually of London manufacture.

Here's a 1919 advertisement mentioning the model:

It's clear that the Londonlike was available in a smooth finish too.

Here's a poker:

And a cased beauty:

I think, but am not sure, that it was produced with vulcanite as well as bakelite stems. All mentions I found of the Londonlike were from the late teens. If it survived past that point I would guess not very far into the 1920s. Bakelite as a stem material lost favor as the decade waned.

In any case yours is a very cool pipe and I hope it gives you much pleasure.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: voorhees

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Interesting variation on the shape since the bowl looks quite billiard-like to me, though the shank and stem look yacht/zulu shaped. But that is the way with shapes often.

Reactions: voorhees

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
@ jguss. Thanks for the additional info. Much helpful. I assumed this was an early piece and early pieces usually don't have all the tell-tell things the later ones can.
It was barely smoked and its a keeper.
I will be posting a few others I found in this lot. An early Linkman Bent Billiard(huge pipe) and a Mincer era Custom-Bilt in fantastic condition along with Early unsmoked Marxman, Lightly smoked gourd calabash, and a beautifully colored 1900's meer. Even an unsmoked MM Rhodesian cob from probably the 30's.

Status
Not open for further replies.