PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
Oddly enough, since I started drilling out the airways on various pipes I have noticed that Vauen tends to use a much smaller diameter than most. It's quality stuff, especially for the pipes under $100, just a bit different from what you'll find on most other makers.

For what it's worth though, I didn't particularly care for the first eight months I was using the pipes before I started measuring.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have two of their Auenland Shire churchwardens, and love them. Finances permitting, I hope to have one of each of the Vauenland styles, especially the cherrywood-like Doran.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
About the white spot: I recall that Dunhill sued them and Vauen, who lost the trial, had to paint their spots gray from there on. Personally I was never inspired by their pipes but I'm sure that they smoke well.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I have 2 Vauens. Both Auenland, 1 Eron (rusti)c, 1 Gilg (polished)

I adore them. I carved a stand for them. Everyday I do a little prayer ... no, no, that one was a joke.

They smoke really well.

Part of it is totally my own delusion I believe.

I listen to LOTR music and feel like having a break from real life and resting in the Shire.

I smoke tobaccos from Middle Earth Series (Longbottom Leaf, Old Toby) from JustforHim. It's really nice, with a little tea or some beer.
That being said, the delusion aside, I think they smoke really well and cool :)

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I have 1 Vauen luxus pipe, purchased it estate on eBay and it is a great smoker. One of my favorites.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
It may be blasphemy to say it here, but I've found Vauens to be the most consistent of the larger name pipes, if you're in the $100-$200 range. They are more consistently perfect than Petersons for sure. You might look at the Rustic Olafs, which retail where I work for under $100 but have a similar look to the one you mentioned.
Also, I wouldn't recommend taking the filter out without using the adapter. People say they do it all the time, but I've seen problems with doing that. The $4 investment in an adapter is well worth it, if you want to smoke a Vauen filterless. If you're going to smoke it with a filter, consider using the Castleford filters instead of the Dr. Perl ones. I like those better.

Mar 1, 2014
That's an interesting comment about adapter use Renia. I have to wonder if it isn't simply a matter of the chamfer on the inlet on the stem?

I was playing with my Ferndown Churchwarden stem yesterday (it was drilled to 1/8" through all but the last few inches toward the stem, that just won't do. I pulled it off flawlessly thank goodness), and while the stem was still straight after clearing out the bore I noticed that I could almost get it to make a popping noise from fast air movement. Then I chamfered the tenon end of the airway and the effect was greatly reduced.

It's hard to notice on shorter stems but I have to wonder if turbulence like that isn't what the adapters are designed to reduce, in which case all I need to do to get my filter pipes running properly is make sure to clean up the rim of the inlet inside the filter chamber.

I just checked a few of my spare Vauen stems and there is definitely a sharp edge on the air channel at the back of the filter compartment.

Mar 1, 2014
Also, concerning the filters. I find the Vauen filters entirely too restrictive by default, but if you pop them open and dump half the carbon pellets they're very nice.

I keep thinking I should make a washable carbon pellet holder so that you could crush Aquarium Pellets for use in the filter space in a pipe.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
keep thinking I should make a washable carbon pellet holder so that you could crush Aquarium Pellets for use in the filter space in a pipe.
You could just put them inside the chamber?

P

pipebuddy

Yes, as Renia said, smoking a 9mm filtered pipe without the filter is a bad idea. That big fricking void created will have a very negative impact on the overall enjoyment of smoking. I've tried it (I had bought a 9mm without knowing it and the pipe had no filter) and the smoke was almost wet, if you can envision that. Beurk.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Reniaeats, I agree with with completely.
Many Vauens can be picked up as estates if you are concerned about price.
I have a good number of nice pipes anymore, but Vauens smoke as well as any of the production pipes I have. I have a couple of Vauen Churchwardens that are great. I do not own a Regent however.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hey guys,
I am still quite new to all of it and some technicalities elude me.

So you are saying that smoking a 9mm pipe (the ones with the big holes in which you can easily put the tip of your little finger in, right?) one should always use a filter in them? Is that right ?

Mar 1, 2014
I'm not sure why anyone would think that removing the filter is in itself harmful to the experience.

Whatever goes wrong with a filterless 9mm filter pipe should also appy to large bent pipes, system pipes and especially the Reverse Calabash, which is practically the same thing.

Someone is going to have to explain why an expansion chamber in the airway is a generally bad idea, otherwise we have lots of great pipemakers pointing the other way.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Frozen I totally agree. More often than not I smoke 9mm Lorenzetti's with a new filter, but sometimes when I'm out and about I don't have a filter and smoke it wide open with no noticeable difference. I always run a cleaner through after a smoke, so the pipe can dry faster.

snappertiger

Lurker
Jun 13, 2018
I see some guys are comparing Stanwell and Vauen .

Well i have a Stanwell and it's horrible.

I am not sure it's the drought hole or birar quality but my pipe burns too hot and tobacco usually taste badly in it.

In other side Vauen is famous to user advance German technology so i guess quality check is well and probably same pipe bahve similarly unlike stanwell which you get a good or bad pipe by chance!

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
I have a Vauen Luxus 6813 1/4 Bent Dublin (9mm Filter) with P-Lip bought as estate from Blue Room Briars, excellent pipe, one of my favorites...I use it with the insert and not filter.

ekert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 26, 2018
On my list of pipes I want to buy (as well as Savinelli, Dunhill, Davidoff, Bekler meerschaum, and a Castello).

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have two of their Auenland Shire churchwardens, and love them. Finances permitting, I hope to have one of each of the Vauenland styles, especially the cherrywood-like Doran.
I actually did end up getting the Doran.

Status
Not open for further replies.