PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
We all know of the brown folding pipe rests, and the chrome one.

Some improvise and make their own.

I've been looking at getting a few vintage ones.

I just won this one on ebay:

vintage-amber-pipe-rest1-600x335.jpg

I have cast one
I'm interested in this one for the wife and her pipe of the moment.

amber vintage pipe rest
There's a few more on ebay but some of the seller's think I've won the lottery I reckon.
We can't be smoking them always I reckon; What sorts of pipe rests do you have?

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Nice pickup wolf; I'd made an offer on that one too, it's beautiful--I'm sure your wife loves it. Alas, I'll have to continue searching the second-hand shops for one now. :crying:
Right now I'm using the "pile method"--i.e., I pile them in one area until I reach the point that I break down and create a proper space for them.

IMG_5541.jpg

An old cribbage board I'd made is reserved for the best pipes. :)
I do have a test tube rack along with some other things on order, but the company keeps screwing up the details (like sending it to me).

letsgodowntherabbithole

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2011
how do you like that organic pipe dream tobacco romeo? I saw some of it on ebay and gave it a thought. It's on my list of tobacco I want to try.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Those are some nice looking rest, and that ashtrap is very nice. I've been looking to pick myself up one for awhile. Though im using a much more crude method if throwing them into a drawer! Resting them on bags of tobacco and things. I was at the antique mall and found a pipe shaped ashtray. I didn't buy it, i didn't have the money at the time..it was only like 8 dollars too. Thankfully nothing like that really moves, so im sure it will be there later. Lets keep our fingers crossed!!
As for that Organic Pipe Dream, i would be very intrested in hearing about that as well.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I haven't cracked the Organic open yet, actually. From the tin:

Made with Certified Organic Virginia Tobacco, extracts of Agave, Prune, Vanilla (Certified Organic)
Certified Organic True Flavor of Tobacco Country, Hand Selected and Blended for the finest Aroma and Quality by:
Organic Smoke Inc.

1620 Hillsborough St. Raleigh, NC 27605

email comments to organicsmoke@cs.com
Cornell & Diehl, Inc. 1-800-433-0080
Certified ORganic by NCCIA * TP-NC-628
It's my understanding that C&D had to go through a Byzantine process in order to become certified organic, only to have it pulled out from under them immediately afterward. I'm letting this one cellar for a bit; it's a 2008 tin, and if my will remains strong I'll keep it to the 5-year mark. Why 5 years? Just an arbitrary guess at how developed I want it to be, and that I've read in a few different places that VA sort of peaks at 5.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
With the certification being yanked from under them, should i assume that its discontinued?

(Sorry to derail the thread, it'll be my last off topic question! :puffy: )

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Prune in a pipe tobacco? Should be a big hit with the guys at The Villages in Florida.
To keep the thread on topic, my dentures make a great pipe rest :mrgreen:
With the certification being yanked from under them, should i assume that its discontinued?
OPD is long-discontinued; it was only in production for about a year from late 2007-late 2008. Possibly less. The company is still extant, though--Organic Smoke, Inc. I'm a little unclear as to what all the brouhaha was regarding the name / certification--the InterWeb is great for conflicting and incomplete information like that :?:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I like that amber colored glass rest. Have an ashtray that color,a pipe rest to match would be nice.Most of my pipes are in a variety of racks but I have made a few from various woods.

http://pipesmagazine.com/members/ejames/album/picture/1785

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
currently i have my pipes resting in the boxes they came in it does the job and doesn't cost a penny.

expatpipe

Can't Leave
Dec 31, 2010
Wow those are great uncle. If you could turn that sailor into a sexy woman in that position.. lol. your wooden one in the last pic is also a beautiful piece.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The last one is actually a Syrocowood item. Sort of resin and sawdust all mixed and cast. Very popular in the mid part of the last century.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Your pipe has a comfy chair :D. I wonder how one could make something similar, without being very handy when it comes to using tools and wood. Maybe some origami cardboard folding or something like that.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I picked up a beatuful ashtray in Germany that has a three pipe rest and my favorite "knocker" :lol: its black, with some kind of marbeling in it, that drove the wife nuts she thought it was dust and she kept trying to cleaning it, it was funny :laughat: until I told her that was the design

Status
Not open for further replies.