Variations in Tins of a Particular Blend.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Can anyone say a thing or two about the variations of content in tins of a blend? I don't mean due to age rather that some reviews say x tobacco was too moist yet I find the blend dry or that the latakia was overpowering when I get hardly any.I know tobacco is a subjective thing, but some reviews really contradict each other.

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I've wondered the same thing.

I've seen it happen when products are reformulated, but some disagreeing reports don't make sense.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I am sure that there are variations as it's different crops of plants with all the inherent variables. Also the subjective human variable. I have smoked blends that seemed to me nothing like the reviews I read. I have also smoked the same blend at different times with very different smoking experiences.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Tobacco is an organic product and variations from batch to batch is the only constant. Blenders try to keep things as consistent as possible but there are so many variables at play.

Tastes have so many factors at play, outside of just what is in the tin. The briar adds flavors, so the pipe makes a huge difference. The time of day, mood, what I've had to eat, weather, temperature, what I had previously smoked, etc... I never trust my taste buds 100%. I've had blends that were like pure Nirvana one day, and then tasted like scalded shit every time after that. Or, vice versa.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's the nature of the beast. The thing I kind of miss about snuff is that if I bought a can of Hedges I knew that it was going to be medium grind, medium moisture, and medium strength every time. The manufacturer wanted it this way to ensure that customers had a standard to hold them to, and that they would also always receive the product they knew and expected. There were never debates about those three characteristics when it came to snuff. The grind was the grind, moisture the moisture, and strength the strength; but that still didn't stop people from voicing decent from the standard in the form of subjective opinions.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
MacDonald's prides themselves on their fries, for example, being the same at all their... MacDonald's.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Tastes have so many factors at play, outside of just what is in the tin. The briar adds flavors, so the pipe makes a huge difference. The time of day, mood, what I've had to eat, weather, temperature, what I had previously smoked, etc... I never trust my taste buds 100%. I've had blends that were like pure Nirvana one day, and then tasted like scalded shit every time after that. Or, vice versa.

Good point!

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
McDonalds adds flavorings to their fry recipe. No one really believes that McDonalds fries are just cut potatoes do they?
Yep. And amen.
On the one hand, flavorings/casing -- especially those involving sugars -- will get "you" coming back for more. It is also how one peddles mediocre foods in general. It is a called Food Science, and you can major in it.
Now. On the other hand, with finer tastes, when you notice these variations: either it's the product or you. Either way, congrats on your progress.

===
Try this with friends and family: roast some potatoes.... in addition to lightly salting them, sprinkle with some sugar. I guarantee someone will ask/exclaim, "What is your secret ingredient?!"

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
To answer the OP's question: body chemistry varies from person to person. For instance, some people are more to sensitive to perique than others, so you're bound to see a difference in reviews regarding its taste level. That would also pertain to other tobacco varietals. As for why some say a particular blend is moist out of the tin when others say it is dry, well, I've experienced that with several products a couple of times, i.e., Orlik Golden Sliced and Dunhill Navy Rolls. Usually, those two are consistent in their moisture content, but I got dry tobacco from each a time or two. Usually, Dunhill London Mixture is lightly moist, but I had one that was fairly dry. Things like that may occasionally happen.
Many years ago, I noticed inconsistencies in Balkan Sasieni regarding the spice level from batch to batch. I understand that's not true any more, but it did happen. Probably a lack of quality control.

owen

May 28, 2014
Thanks for all the replies, I started to wonder after reading some of the reviews of 3 Oaks Syrian saying it required drying and the tin I opened was quite dry, but maybe my take on dryness is not the same as other peoples.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
That may be true. Every time I order a dry Martini at a restaurant it's never dry enough.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yo ow
Another factor that may affect your perceptions from tin to tin is that airing out (not even necessarily drying out) a freshly opened tin generally improves the overall flavor. I try not to puff much of a new tin till it has aired out for a few days. So if you compare the last of a tin with a freshly opened new one, you may find the latter a bit on the bland side. I've noticed some old timers fluff freshly opened tobacco, so maybe they're speeding up the process.
I liken this airing out factor to decanting or even just waiting for 20 minutes with red wine. The flavor improvement is startling.
hp

les

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I find more variation in bulk blends than I ever have between tinned blends, and that is probably due to age and storage.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I find that when ordering a Martini I must specify vermouth or I won't get any. I also find I must specify Gin.
A Martini is made with Gin. You can use vodka, but you are enjoying a cocktail. not a Martini. I will not be moved on this.
Also...I move between so many blends and pipes that I've never noticed any difference between different tins of the same blend.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
OTC's made in huge batches by a major tobacco manufacturer tend to be very consistent due to the protocols of automated mass production. With smaller blenders it depends on the care of a small group of people or even a single individual, so consistency can be variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.