Variations in Tins of a Particular Blend.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll echo the response that each tobacco type is organic and changes with the tobacco farmer source, the variations in season, changes in soil, harvesting, handling, and storage. A tin of tobacco is like a bottle of wine. I'm glad they aren't sold by vintage year, but they could be. Then given the product itself, you add all of the human variables of the smoker, the pipe, the tobacco storage, mood, mindset, and the genetics of the sense of taste, and you have a complex system. There are more variables than that, but these examples suffice to make the point. Do blends vary from tin to tin and time to time? Unavoidably.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
You know I swear blind that Condor RR tastes different from the way it tasted back in 1981 and that Spanish Condor RR is a different cut from Condor Duty Free (anyone manage to find Condor in Duty Free recently?) but then I smoked an English Oval the other day and that didn't taste anything like how I remembered them back in the day. Maybe I am just get old or senile or both!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I have many pounds of LTF stashed away aging, so every time I read something like this, it just makes me grin. As to your varying impressions, Cosmic, I don't doubt the variations are real, caused by different parts of the plant, different soils, climate, weather, maturity, or geographic location. Even if you are imagining it, what different does it make? There is no difference between real variations and those merely perceived.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I recently popped a 50g tin of SG Brown Sugar Flake with the intention of extracting a few slices to send as a sample to a forum member.
I got the surprise of my life when I saw that two thirds of the flakes were exactly the dark colour and composition that I am familiar with but the last third was positively lighter in colour and the texture seemed different too...and this was all going on in a single tin!
Naturally I sent on some of the 'regular' dark flakes as the sampler and the rest I just rubbed out and added to my jar. It never occurred to me at the time to hold some back for a taste comparison :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.