PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I love C&D Kajun Kake. It is very sweet with some age on it.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
How bout some Sutliff VA/Per crumble cake? I find it pretty sweet.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I also prefer my VA-based blends on the sweeter side.
Anniversary Kake is very good.
My current favorite VaPer is Watch City's Flake #558. It is excellent and has a nice sweetness from the stoved VAs.
You may want to look into the VA flakes that have a light topping. Newminster Navy Flake is a sweet , bright-VA flake in that category. I have not had the Sutliff Virginia Slices, but I have heard that is a good bulk option.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Jim's list is a good one. Virginia Spice is surprisingly good and Viprati is excellent. If Orlik Golden Sliced has Perique, it must be one small flake. I would not consider it a true VaPer but to each their own.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
You might give Davidoff Flake Medallions a try. They're maybe a tad sweeter than PS Bullseye Flake. YMMV.
Also Esoterica's Dorchester is sweet to my palate. Dunbar, not so much.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
With the caveat that we must have really different palates (fresh OGS does nothing for me)... It might be that you just need to give the ones you've already got some more jar time to sweeten up. To my tastes, SJF is tasty sweetness itself; it's been a daily smoke for me since I first tried it. In the cheap and accessible department, Comoy's Cask #4 is sweet and citrusy; I already like it, and I like it more every time I go back to the jar. I strongly second the Watch City 558. Been smoking a lot of it fresh lately, and it's nice and sweet, as is Watch City Old Dominion. I also got a sample of a fantastic fruity-sweet VaPer from Watch City called Rouxgaroux, which I gather they'll be releasing soon. Once you figure in 0% sales tax, the WC stuff is actually quite the bargain, btw. To your second question: I've only smoked one tin of the McC Scottish Cake. I liked it OK once I found the right pipe for it (a pot) because it's got a nice nicotine punch and I kind of like the topping, but I probably won't get any more of it for the foreseeable future - no accounting for tastes! Right now, I'm impatiently waiting on my first tin of Kajun Kake. Hope it doesn't disappoint. Telegraph Hill is probably my favorite VaPer at the moment, but it doesn't seem like what you're looking for - lots of earth, and a different kind of fruit.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
This thread is a great example of the wide variety of opinions associated with unique and personal palates.
McClelland 2015 was damn good, setting the benchmark for a sweet VaPer.
I find Dorchester to be significantly less sugary (and slightly bitter) than Dunbar, while Tilbury is the sweetest VaPer offering by Esoterica to my taste buds.
GL Pease's "Haddos Delight" is surprisingly sweet for a C&D manufactured blend (in my experience).
While it's more of a VaPer++++ mutt, I've found Voodoo Queen to be a pleasant surprise in the budget bulk offering.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
trubka mentioned the Rouxgaroux from Watch City. I too have a sample and agree with his assessment. That is a base of WCC Simply Red and is very sweet. Should be released in the next couple of weeks. One I forgot to mention is Peter Heinrichs Curley Block. I find it to be quite sweet but also difficult to obtain.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
@danimalia- I just received H&H anni kake. It looks like it uses a casing. It literally is like a cake. I did notice sweetness.
Guys, you have overwhelmed me with your insights. I love reading all your responses. I will keep reading, because I'm getting info from you guys I never got researching it on my own. Keep them coming.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
Today, I also tried the Marlin flake..Alaskan piper, dude..you're right on the money. That is one amazing blend.

eddiedds

Lurker
Sep 2, 2019
@TRUBKA2..... thanks so much for that fantastic information. Very informative. I agree on scottish cake, it seems to hate some of my pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.