PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Let the discussion begin. Comments, quips, and quotes, for commodious contemplation.
The oft discussed VaPer Coins (or Curlies). What is your favorite? Why? What do they look like fresh in the tin. Here is a photo repository of the most common blends.
Bell's - Three Nuns

Escudo - Navy Deluxe

Davidoff - Flake Medallions

Dobie's Four Square - Circles

Wessex - Sovereign Curly Cut (Brigade)

Dan Tobacco - Roppers Roundels

Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flakes

Peter Heinrich - Curly Block

Savinelli - Dablone d'Oro
FoFxZ0z.jpg

dJIfVa5.jpg

ztH3eRn.jpg

FFmyPpP.jpg

GIRKsUz.jpg

bzQ2x3M.jpg

FhCGpNk.jpg

OcxOI6X.jpg

obQepKe.jpg

KsSGU9c.jpg

UvkuukK.jpg

nYuqD42.jpg

nHUiVKk.jpg

EXllL8Q.jpg

XcEEy81.jpg

ORYnV18.jpg

PTQqiVK.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's a great presentation!
I'd say that my favorites are Motzek Strang, whether cut or not, HU Director's Cut, Savinelli Doblone d'Oro, A & C Peterson Escudo, Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, and Peter Heinrich's Curly Block.
Doblone d'Oro is a close match to the old Va/Per Three Nuns.
PS-LBF is, to me, pretty tasteless when fresh but after 4 years of aging becomes a very enjoyable flavorful smoke, nice balance between the components with a pleasant sweetness. I think it's released too young.
I really like Escudo, but I like the actual A & C Peterson version better than the STG version. It's richer in flavor and as it ages it develops a wonderfully rich full fruity flavor while losing some of the pepperiness.
HU Director's Cut offers a nice range of flavors. It's sort of a Strang lite. Complexity, but not in your face.
Motzek Strang is a very robust blend that also provides a complex variety of flavors, sweet, sour, fruity, but which needs a LONG dry time for all of the complexity to emerge. It's a unique blend unlike any other. I suspect, though I have no way of knowing this, that one or more of the components are not tobacco, but some other form of smokable herb (no, not THAT smokable herb!). Definitely not for everyone and some may find it just too much. Sadly, for those who really like it, it's now extinct.
Curly Block can be a bit of a challenge to cut. But the balance and richness of flavors is worth the money.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Jesse, thank you for pointing out Strang and HU Directors Cut. I totally forgot about those blends. But I also don’t have any so no pics. That’s what I was after by posting this topic. Kind of a repository for VaPer coin discussion, with everyone’s thoughts.

jonas

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
I have only tried Dunhill, LBF, and Escudo. I like them in that order when fresh.

Jan 8, 2013
As far as coins go, I've only smoked PS Luxury Bullseye, which I quite enjoy. I intend to try Curly Block, was sold out when I placed my last tobacco order.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Beautimous pics.
About all of my coin representations, which are in jars, are almost black in colour.
I've eyed (no pun intended)the roper's roundels. Can you tell me a bit about them?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
The only 1 I've had is LBF. Funny you should say it was tasteless fresh sablebrush as, though I smoke pretty strong, pungent blends like ODF & Odessa most of the time, I find LBF quite flavorful.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@oldtoby, I have been digging Roper's Roundels lately. It is kind of a sleeper blend for me, and lord knows I do not (in any way) need to cellar more tobacco. However, it has become a treat of sorts. I'm not good at reviews, but this blend has something of a sour cream note, in addition to the fig/perique that I enjoy. It is very different than say Escudo or Davidoff and I do not notice the Cavendish. As my Grandpa would say, "it's a Man's smoke."

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That tobacco is making me hungry. Great photos.
To consider: Why do all the vendors refer to Escudo as A.C. Peterson? I bought some of the last tins of A.C. Peterson in 2003. It's like 3Nuns tins that still say "Bell's." So obviously untrue. It would seem to me the most obvious identifier would refer to the tobacco, not some blender 20-30 years ago. If the current manufacturer has made every effort to produce a blend close to the name on the tin, this would be understandable as clear.
Business duplicity.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
How neat is this thread, fun looking through all those pictures...so beautiful :D

Thanks Mary. You will always be a Baroness of pipes and tobacco. I still remember the first Castello Pipe you directed my way. Cheers.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great thread!
I'll add Newminster No.403 Superior Round Slices to the list.

005-528-0022.jpg

Does anybody have an opinion on either of these two Mac Baren coin offerings? Any pix?
003-039-0005.jpg
003-039-0019.jpg

@Jesse, nice commentary/synopses.

Status
Not open for further replies.