PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he chose to live in abject poverty, letting his brother pay his lodgings and trading his paintings for food. He had this strange mix of priestly and artist mix of philosophies. Really, up until the invention of cameras, artists were needed to record the way people looked in portraits, and they were "kept" or patronized by the rich and royalty or even the church. Michelangelo would have been a someone who inspired Vincent, being in torment within himself between the animal self and "The Church." But, at the time, with art untethered from recording the way things look (because of the camera) and the lack of a church patronage, he had to just figure out what it was to be an artist at that time.
No, Being poor, Dutch, and wandering about the backwoods of France, in the Netherlands and Belgium, he would have been more likely to have smoked a pipe that was a precursor to Hilson... or just picked up broken clay pipes and repaired them himself.
Wasn't one of his pipes on display at one time, along with a painting.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
absinthe back in those days was made by infusing real worm wood
And still is. In fact, once the ban was finally lifted in most places and people made real absinthe well again, modern absinthe was compared to old bottles with mass spectrometry and other methods and found to contain no more thujone, the alleged "hallucinogenic compound," than today's absinthe. Basically, people just drank too much in general and absinthe happened to get a bad wrap from one incident. It is all a fallacy. Absinthe was one scapegoat in the war on alcohol.

There is much bullshit surrounding Van Gogh, just as there is the Egyptian Pyramids. If I have to listen to one more, idiotic History channel explanation about how human being just weren't perfect enough to get the stones to fit together that accurately, I am going to puke. Personally, I believe that the History Channel should change its name to "Complete Bullshit" channel. Look, "let's look for Hitler in another place where we will find absolutely no evidence of him being there."
It's not unfathomable that Vincent had a mental problems with depression, and that his brother Theo was well aware of it; especially, since we have their whole collection of letters sent back and forth. What does blow people's minds is that Van Gogh had a style of painting that blows away what was currently happening in Paris. Why people would assume that he needed drugs to do such wonderful work is beyond me. The people I know of on drugs don't tend to do much of anything. It's not hard to fathom someone being good at art, without having to take a drug.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I just watched a movie "Loving Vincent" on Hulu. The entire film was painted by more than 100 artists. I enjoyed it very much, although it took a few minutes to get used to the animation. Here's the trailer:Loving Vincent Trailer

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Well, now we're 'ere talking about Tim's ear, I have to ask if it will pass a cleaner, and is the drilling perfect? Finally, is it coated, and if so, what is that coating?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And the Histrionics Channel! I-yi-yi. I got suckered in to watching The Curse of Oak Island as the premise was interesting. But after ten episodes into the SIXTH season, they still haven't resolved a damn thing. But they've thrown out ideas that everyone from the Druids to Eric the Red was there, Blackbeard, Captains Kidd and Crunch. That there might be millions in gold bullion as well as the Holy Grail, Queen Isabella's jewels, Marie Antoinette's jewels, and God knows what else.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I quit watching the history channel years ago. As a matter of fact, I gave up our paid TV subscription entirely mainly due to poor programming at the more base level . I was a big History Channel fan back in the day, but Lord, how discredible it's become. I wonder if the turn about is somewhat a reflection of our society at large?

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I agree with most opinions about the History Channel, it has become a Soap Opera with little fact that is actually based on history that has any truth to it. As for Van Gogh's pipe, I don't know?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Did a corn cob ever enter the conversation re Van Gogh? Not that I think he smoked one, but perhaps in a movie about him, or in one of his paintings there may be a pipe that looks like a cob?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Dutch are and were pipe makers and smokers in those days, and since Van Gogh never made much money with his painting, I suspect he wouldn't smoke an imported pipe, so I'd bet it's Dutch, whoever made it. When in Amsterdam, see his museum.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Cosmic If you are commenting on my drug related joke, I am not assuming that drugs and creative artistic work are correlated. All I said is that the guy was a nut job, and that he may have abused drugs/alcohol, I simply made no comment on his work what so ever. The fact that he was emotionally unstable and a bit on the cucu side is well documented in the Van Gogh museum, in Amsterdam. You see the EU is not that big of a place, we get to go places :wink: But on second thought ... this whole van Gogh business, it might be aliens.
THECONFESSIONALS1.jpg

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
Having studied a fair amount of history in my graduate program, I was surprised at how many anachronisms were present in their series, "Vikings." It didn't stop me from watching, though!

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
An article from a few years ago -
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-shows/vincent-van-gogh-pipe-smoking-exhibit-in-amsterdam/
You can also do a websearch on the various pipes he depicted in his paintings & drawings.

Aug 14, 2012
"Still Life With Plate of Onions," 1889, has the same pipe. Peterson started to make the system pipe around 1865, though it was not patented until later. A man from Eastern Europe moved to Dublin, changed his name to Peterson, and showed a local pipe shop his way of making pipes. I think they were called K & P. They hired him, switched to his design and a few years later made him a partner. I have one pipe that says "K & P Peterson."

Status
Not open for further replies.