PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hello All,
I am a lazy bastard with an infant at home (already a bad mix). I do not want to open an assload of tins and jar them all up. Nor do I want to buy an assload more jars that I then have to label and store.
But I hear a lot about tins eventually losing their seal and popping, rusting up from the inside, etc. when cellared for a long period of time. Being a hunter/fisherman in Alaska, I have massive amounts of vacuum packing supplies. I have seen some people vacuum sealing their esoterica bags, which I am pondering doing with the big whopping two that I have. I have also seen alot of discussion here about folks wrapping their tin joints in electrical tape, etc.
I am wondering would it be beneficial to vacuum seal my tins to protect against popped seals, pinholes, rust, etc. Especially the square ones that seem to be more prone to popping? This would be much faster, and I would think safer, than jarring and labeling...just toss the whole tin in the bag as is and vacuum seal that sucker. No need for jars, lids, or labels.
Has anyone done this? Would it impact the way the tobacco ages? Am I an idiot? Thoughts?
Frank

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Sorry all, just finally found an older thread that goes into this in detail. Is there a way to delete this or is that mod territory?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Someone on here was vacuuming their tins a few years ago, maybe Peck?

Seems like an easy extra measure if you already have the set up...
Isaac

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have some 3 Nuns from the 90’s I vacuum sealed. Had some left over bags laying around so figured why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.