PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Soooo, to make sure I understand... If it has latakia, it is an English or Balkan or whatnot... but, we can't call a Virginia-Oriental, Oriental, because that includes the possibility of latakia.
Ha ha, forum logic... I can dig that. puffy
YOU can call it an Oriental.
Mike McNeil did, but he was wrong too!!
nana

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Cosmic is taking too much flak here for being right. There are two kinds of people - those like he and I that call it "Oriental" that effectively make God smile and then there's all the irredeemable heathens that spread their caustic lies like an epidemic on internet forums.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Va-Or was just a simple short way of getting the point across in the title, but yes, I find Latakia to overwhelm my taste-buds, even in tiny amounts, all nuance disappears and I just just get that sooty flavour... when you live in canada and pay $50 a tin, you get a little pissed off when you pay that kind of money and don’t get what you want.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
This is my first post... I just had to add my 2 cents on this topic! My abbreviation of choice for the genre is Va/Tur (pronounced Vader, as in Darth). Reasons? First, it rhymes with Va/Per and Va/Bur. Second, many tobacco users, especially cig smokers, say turkish as a catch-all for orientals. The distinction between an oriental blend and a Va/Tur, for me, is a dominance of Va. I feel the same about the other terms. Virginias with condimental amounts of another tobacco = Va/---. If the condiment dominates, then I'd call them perique, burley, or oriental blends. For example, I'd call Carter Hall a burley blend, not a va/bur. Presbyterian is a (fantastic) oriental blend, as is Durbar. As far as the best example of a Va/Tur, imho, Dunhill Ready Rubbed! Just a light condimental amount of oriental tobacco in an otherwise sweet and tasty Va dominant broken flake.

Reactions: Casual

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Try all the D&R Rambacks, you can buy them by the oz. I have only smoked the Balkan blend, and it's very good. This is what's in it: A smooth tasting pipeblend with a flavorful and characteristic Oriental finish. An exquisite combination of premiumBalkin Virginia sun-cured tobaccos, exceptional Yenice (Yenidje) and Basma tobaccos, and the finest Virginia flue-cured tobaccos

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
That's tasty, but, doesn't it have latakia? Hence the name?

Yes you're right; my mistake. I tend to lump Syrian leaf in the oriental department since it tastes so wholly different than cyprian latakia.

Reactions: olkofri

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
How are the Savinelli blends? I haven't heard much about them or even knew they existed until SP threw them up on sale
Brunello flake had the best tin note I've ever smelled. Taste pretty darn good too. Haven't tried anything else though.

Reactions: tg51

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Casual, I have a tin of Presbyterian aging, so I'll look forward to that. I smoke so slowly, I should have a five-year hiatus on buying tobacco. I'm always smoking up samples, small partially filled jars, and pouches, trying to work my way to the many tins. I can see Edward G. Robinson peering at me from the bottom of a stack of unopened tins from here.
I'm not a huge English fan, but I love Presbyterian. There's something really unique in there. It's like a cinnamon spiked lemon.

Reactions: Casual and rushx9

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Va-Or was just a simple short way of getting the point across in the title, but yes, I find Latakia to overwhelm my taste-buds, even in tiny amounts, all nuance disappears and I just just get that sooty flavour... when you live in canada and pay $50 a tin, you get a little pissed off when you pay that kind of money and don’t get what you want.
That much huh.... Damn man that's rough.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Here’s some good suggestions/reference.

Reactions: rushx9

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
GLP Regent’s Flake hasn’t been mentioned yet, it’s got a bit of Perique but it’s not the dominant flavour profile. I am also an Va/Or kind of guy so I’ll be checking out some of the blends here. The Rambacks really entice me TBH

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
GLP Regent’s Flake hasn’t been mentioned yet, it’s got a bit of Perique but it’s not the dominant flavour profile. I am also an Va/Or kind of guy so I’ll be checking out some of the blends here. The Rambacks really entice me TBH
I liked Ramback Balkan pretty well. Wanted to like regular but had trouble getting into it. It was definitely better as a ryo.

Jun 23, 2019
If anyone has a rec on Sam's Flake match I would greatly appreciate that. If someone has some Sam's Flake to trade I would be even more ecstatic.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
I liked Ramback Balkan pretty well. Wanted to like regular but had trouble getting into it. It was definitely better as a ryo.

Are D&R’s really fancy cigarette tobaccos? I’ve always had that suspicion as I never see a GLP ryo suggestions.

Or am I way off the mark

Status
Not open for further replies.